Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
charliegardens
    Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi to everyone and thank you to the site manager for such an awesome website.

I am a woman in my 50's considering attending welding training program at my Community College of Allegheny County.
I learned to mig weld and torch cut steel as part of my Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree from Carnegie Mellon University about 20 years ago. I loved working with the mig welder and the torch cutter and became proficient very quickly. My professor at the time complimented me on the excellent quality of my work. She kinda implied you either have it or you dont - the ability to make a consistent clean seam - any hand to eye coordination and fine manual dexterity type projects are my bliss.

I have never forgotten how cool it was to weld and cut steel. I love to work with my hands and I also love hard physical labor.
So, here i am, saying hi and researching local welding training programs.

Anyone from Pittsburgh or anyone familiar with training options or just general advice please feel free to share.

Cheers to all.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

We've got members all around you in the Pittsburgh area, in several skill levels including master craftsman. I'm sure you'll hear from a few in short order. (Keep in mind, we move at the pace of a neighborhood, not a business or, God forbid, a facebook forum.)

If you already know you enjoy welding and working with metal in general, I say "go for it". We have enough membership in your area that you might get a review or two on that program and others near you.

Steve
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome glad to have you here .
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Charlie, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Where are you located? I love on McCandless Twp. in the North Hills part of Pittsburgh. I attending the same welding school as you in Oakdale Pa.

If I can help in any way please reach out to me.....Rich!
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I'm in Lower Burrell/New Kensington area, and same as reach, if you need any help with anything, just ask!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
charliegardens
    Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi all, thank you for your warm welcome and replies. I live in the city near Squirrel Hill.
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
Mkennedy4797
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm about 45 minutes North of Pittsburgh up in Ford City and work in Saxonburg, so not far either. I am just a hobby welder still learning all processes, but anything I can do please let me know. It's nice to see others from the area.

-Matt-

GreinTime

Mkennedy4797 wrote:I'm about 45 minutes North of Pittsburgh up in Ford City and work in Saxonburg, so not far either. I am just a hobby welder still learning all processes, but anything I can do please let me know. It's nice to see others from the area.

-Matt-

Where do you work in Saxonburg?

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Mkennedy4797
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:54 pm

For II-VI, it's a laser optics company.

Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome to the forum! I'll second Steve- go for formal training, definitely. Have fun with it!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
GreinTime

Mkennedy4797 wrote:For II-VI, it's a laser optics company.

I have a few friends that work there! I weld for PRL Motorsports out in Export currently, and do my own stuff on the side as well.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-