Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

I'm trying to come up with a decent torch package for a friends Stahlwerk 200A TIG unit.

It has a Dinse style connector on the power cable ( with a separate gas line, M16 x 1.5 ) but the connector is 8.75mm diam; height at the divot is 9.85mm, and the divot is at the very end of the fitting, The receptacle is 9.0 mm ID.

Is this some standard Euro fitting, or a "special " from Stahlwerk ? The small Dinse is 9.5 mm / 3/8".He would like to avoid having to replace the outlet receptacle if possible.

The thing they call a "torch" is like a club. At present, the aim is to get a CK TL 26 Superflex with the stubby collets and gas lens. If this is a bastard fitting, it may be possible to machine a Dinse and the original , press them together and silver solder the joint .

Any suggestions appreciated. With all this effing around, and as it's necessary to get a foot pedal anyway, I'm thinking that getting a cooler and a WP 20 style torch would be the better solution.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.ckworldwide.com/dinse-gas-cooled.html

From the ck web site. There appear to only be a few common sizes. The number diferances I believe are in relation to the cable sizes you can get into the wire end of the connector.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
kiwi2wheels

Thanks Josh, I just measured a water cooled 35 adapter and the connector plug-in diam is 1/2 ", so going by that, this thing is special size.

It would be nice though if we could borrow a 25 to check.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I know the one my TA and my Lincoln have are supposed to be the same size but they are just a little bit different diameter. So I bough a Tweco set and that one fits both machines.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

At risk of sounding dumb ! if the machine uses something non standard ( though dinse in both sizes is easily found ) it would be simpler to buy a new female standard dinse fitting & swap it on the front panel of the welder - also worth checking the M16 gas fitting connection inside the machine as these usually carry power as well being connected by a buz bar to the dinse along side - if so it's easy to find a mono cable torch to fit ( the dinse is more for stick welding connection ) - all these combinations are standards so torch swaps should be straight forward - unless I'm not understanding the OP.
kiwi2wheels

He is going to contact Stahlwerk again and see if someone can give an answer; he 's in a welding supplier desert............

I agree about changing the receptacle to a Dinse 25, but there is the warranty issue; if the machine takes a dump , then it gives them a excuse to void the warranty.

The original torch has the power cable that goes into the Dinse style receptacle and a separate gas hose.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Dinse 25 or 35 > mono cable adapters are cheap on Ebay if that solves the problem - even if you have to " fettle " the adapter to the machine - that way the machine stays standard & any torch will fit.