Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Yes, I'm still perusing Craigslist and hoping to find a used Dynasty. I can't help myself :lol:

In general, I'm looking for an inverter Dynasty over the bullet-proof Syncro due to its variety of pulser settings that would be useful for welding thin metals. I also weld aluminum on occasion so a water-cooled torch would be nice. Considering I have max'd my 200AHP a few times, I would prefer a 280DX sized unit (don't want to mess w/ having helium)

I came across a 10 year old Dynasty 350 w cooler. Don't know the hours yet. I realize pricing is definitely regional but any opinions on what would be a reasonable price? ($4K? $5K?) I see Syncros go for $3k around here. The 350 is a bigger machine than I need but if the price is better than a new 280dx setup why not?

{perhaps this is just a plea to get talked off of the ledge and go back to working on skills :roll: }

thx.
steve
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"

Hey Steve
Fill me in, are you doing work on the side or do you have your own shop??

10 years old, I'd want something newer I think unless the price is really good, especially if you have customers depending on you.

In your area (Houston) there should be welding suppliers that could help with a estimate on a used machine, or tell them to contact you if they hear of a machine for sale.
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you buy a used Dynasty, ideally you want to get a unit newer than a 2010 model. It is my understanding from Miller that was when they introduced their different waveform software. A 10 year old unit won't have that feature. It will still be a great machine will ample frequency controls, but I would opt for the wave packages if I were buying a used unit.

Good luck finding a used 280DX for anything less than near regular price. They're pretty new and unless someone is hurting for cash, they're like hens teeth. I have a 12 year old 200DX that still runs great so I have nothing but strong recommendations for them.
sru_tx

hmm, seems like my previous response attempt didn't post....

Richard,
Some might call it an expensive hobby but I see it as a business.... just not a very profitable one :lol:
Truth be told, this is my second or third career. Don't really see it as an early retirement. I was the breadwinner for a long time, my wife is now making the bread and she said to go find something I enjoy.

I'm making unique furniture out of metal and wood. Curvy swoopy pieces. shaped sheet metal. Tubular steel bent on a ring roller. I do some aluminum. I've made a few gates and awnings for myself and wouldn't mind finding a client for some of that either. I do a few commissions here and there. I've only been selling my stuff for about a year. Learning skills as I go.

cj737 I realize a used 280DX is a unicorn. A more accurate statement is I want something with a little more juice than 200A machine without having to deal with helium. I'd like waveforms which eliminates the HTP.

Honestly, I've got upgrade-itis thinking a machine with waveforms and high frequency pulsing capability would help me with some of my pieces that I make out of 18 gauge CR steel.

My suspicion is the asking price is too much for 10 y.o. machine and a better choice for the money is a new 280dx and add the cooler later OR an Everlast w cooler.

thanks.

Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Aren't inverters commonly getting end-of-lifed at around 10 years old? It's like asking $3k for a Windows 386 with a 160MB hard drive.
cj737

Honestly, just grab a new 210DX and use a single bottle of 75%Ar/25%He premixed from your local gas supplier. Solves the need for thick aluminum, won't hurt any of your welding of steel, and is not that much more expensive than 100% Ar. If you get into thick aluminum, you can preheat it with a torch anyway to reduce the requirements of amperage. And if you're "hobby welding" anyway, you don't need the ability to run 250+ amps on aluminum.

My recommendation. :)
sru_tx

Thanks for the input and talking me off of the ledge :lol:

I need to put the Internet down and walk away... for my own good.

A 10y.o. Dynasty's functionality is not quite in line with the newer units but still pretty good. The main rub is that it may work fine at the moment but the expense of a repair is a big gamble. The common sense thing to do is to get a smaller model (210dx) with a warranty and just add helium for the rare occasion it's needed. If I find I'm doing more work on thicker aluminum I should be making enough money to justify a bigger machine, but until that happens.... helium.

thanks.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cj737 wrote: And if you're "hobby welding" anyway, you don't need the ability to run 250+ amps on aluminum.

My recommendation. :)
Well it could be that someone wants to weld a few thick parts, just wont need to weld them back to back. So they won't need a super massive duty cycle, but they would still need the amperage. One doesnt need to weld structural parts to want to want perhaps some heavy duty shelves or brackets or something similar. Telling a hobby welder exactly what it means to be a hobby welder doesn't make too much sense to me, as it has nothing to do with the size of the part. Just means he/she isn't doing production welding and/or doesn't need to do it for a living.
sru_tx

Oscar, I think you raise an interesting point. What exactly does "hobby" mean?

In my original post, I jokingly called it a hobby in the sense that I'm not turning a profit yet. I've bought equipment, filed LLC, business cards, rented spaces at markets over the course of the last 12 months. I've sold furniture of my own design, been commissioned to make other peoples' visions, made gates, kayak racks, etc.

While I am enjoying myself learning skills, being creative, and meeting people, I don't consider it a hobby. A hobby is something done in spare time (golf, fishing, hunting, art, music, cars, making things, whatever) with no realistic expectation of monetary sustenance. A hobby is not necessarily defined by the size of the project.

Turning an avocation (hobby) into a vocation is a dream for many but not mine. For me, they are two separate entities.

cj737

I meant no disrespect regarding "hobby". As for amperage required to weld thick parts, it's only required for "single pass" welds. Seriously thick steel you could easily stick weld with your Dynasty (they stick great by the way) and for aluminum, preheat, multi-pass, or pure Helium on DC works too. Plenty of routes around the rabbit hole to limit the need for 250+ amp machines for the occasional welding job.

Sure enough, if your business takes off and you need the range and duty cycle, step right up and grab a new Dynasty 400! I'd come visit regularly to ogle it ;)
sru_tx

CJ737,
No worries. I didn't mean to sound like I had my panties in a twist.

If I didn't want to hear honest and objective opinions, I shouldn't have asked.

may your tungstens stay pointy and clean

cj737

Ha! I like a good ball on the end for aluminum :D ;)
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

Yeah, welding equipment goes for ridiculous prices around here. I was going down this same path and decided that I wanted a warranty for anything inverter based. They seem to fail in a very costly fashion.

Another option that may work for you is to rent it if you just need one for the occasional job. We have at least one good rental place in town and may do that one of these weeks just to see what it is all about. Until then, I have a pre-heat oven, torch, etc. and a gas mixer to bring in some metered helium.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I rent machines when the shop ones aren't available. Or when the ones I have on my truck aren't big enough.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
sru_tx

Thanks for the input MFleet and Poland308. I decided to take a deep breath, cool my jets, and let this one pass.

I think the realistic plan is to wait and buy either a Miller 210DX or 280DX OR an Everlast 255EXT and plan on grabbing some helium when/if I need a little more juice. I think I know the arguments in favor of the blue over the green (support) and vice versa (cost). We'll just have to wait and see.

thanks
steve

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Sounds like your on the right track, Iv'e had a Dynasty 300 DX for years, and its a great machine, my brother just picked up a Dynasty 210DX tig runner and I was very impressed with it's ability to get right into 1/4" aluminum and also it's low end was very smooth.. Awesome machine..

Pete
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
sru_tx

With Miller's rebate on the 210DX plus Cyberweld tossing in a Speedglas 9100XXi it's enough to drive me crazy (or divorced :lol: )

cj737

Check out Indiana Oxygen too:
www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com

Great prices, really great people, and excellent support