Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Charliem
    Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello I have a question about position of tig filler rod while welding.

while welding do I keep the rod in the shielding gas or is it ok to pull it back out of the shielding gas? I have seen various videos with people doing both. I want to know the correct way to do this. Thanks.

Charlie
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It depends upon the rod material. Stainless and titanium filler requires it remain under the shielding gas to avoid any oxidation or contamination once it's "dipped" and heated. Aluminum and carbon filler do not suffer the same results and can be introduced and removed from the gas without significant performance change.
Charliem
    Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. now I know.

regards
Charlie
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Even with aluminum and carbon steel the rod will oxidize if taken out of the shielding gas. It might not have as bad a result as the more active metals, but it will impact the overall quality of the weld. Even with O/A welding, you always try and keep the rod in the shielded area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene

I agree with cj737 and dgapilot, if I was welding code work or other critical part I'd keep the filler in the shielding, if your welding something else, it may not matter.

It a good habit to form to keep the filler in the shielding, time and experience come into play with this, and will teach you many things, as with any other trade.
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Not beat on that poor equine laying in the roadside ditch...

With aluminum filler rod, keeping it in the shielding gas can be problematic. The ambient heat often tends to melt the filler back which produces a very inconsistent bead/fill. Lots of variables involved like cup size, position, amps, etc... As for the filler oxidizing, true, AL oxidizes immediately. But when welding, the AC current removes that oxidation so it becomes less of an issue.

I think the OP's main question was focused on an answer relative to SS and Ti. And as has been said, non-code related work, carbon steel (and AL) is perfectly fine withdrawn from the gas.