General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi,
Just getting back into welding after a long time away. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on finding material for practice. The closest steel supply house is an hour away, and I really hate to buy "good" sheet metal just to practice. Years ago you used to be able to go to metal recycle places and pick stuff up and buy it for scrap value. All the scrap places here in MD won't let you do that anymore.

I'm looking primarily for sheet metal for welding practice, and bar ends to make stuff in the lathe with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Location is Frederick County MD.

David
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Check any sheet metal fabricators for the drop ends.

https://www.google.com/search?q=frederi ... e&ie=UTF-8

Who knows? Ask nice and they might let you clean out the back of their shear. Nobody ever wants to do that while they're working.

My local metal supplier has a small part of their yard dedicated to scraps and drop. From what I've seen that's pretty typical. At least here in Texas.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Where I am in SW Ontario Canada our local land fill has a big sign - Reuse, Recycle at the gate. Some sites allow this ,some don't. It's like bees to honey at the steel scrap pile where a lot of decent material can be found if you're quick. Is there any chance you have a local site that allows picking? If it's in another jurisdiction maybe you know someone there who could ferry you in. :?: 8-)
dgapilot

homeboy wrote:Where I am in SW Ontario Canada our local land fill has a big sign - Reuse, Recycle at the gate. Some sites allow this ,some don't. It's like bees to honey at the steel scrap pile where a lot of decent material can be found if you're quick. Is there any chance you have a local site that allows picking? If it's in another jurisdiction maybe you know someone there who could ferry you in. :?: 8-)
All the ones around here won't allow picking- insurance reasons! There is a new one that opened a little while ago that I haven't checked with. I'll have to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

David - If you look online for the nearest MetalSuperMarkets, they often have scrap bins from their shear, punch, or saw jobs. This material is typically recycled for scrap metal weight. But, you can introduce yourself to the franchise owner, explain you'd like to practice weld on some decent pieces, then return them for their benefit. Often, this works out for both sides: you get free stuff to practice on, they get the material back (even heavier than when it left due to weld filler). It might even land you a few side jobs or simple weld tasks.

My eldest works at the location by us, and my 2nd son built a hopper they snatch, we pick thru, and they practice on. It all works out beautifully. Some of the scrap actually gets put into use for permanent jobs ;)
dgapilot

cj737 wrote:David - If you look online for the nearest MetalSuperMarkets, they often have scrap bins from their shear, punch, or saw jobs. This material is typically recycled for scrap metal weight. But, you can introduce yourself to the franchise owner, explain you'd like to practice weld on some decent pieces, then return them for their benefit. Often, this works out for both sides: you get free stuff to practice on, they get the material back (even heavier than when it left due to weld filler). It might even land you a few side jobs or simple weld tasks.

My eldest works at the location by us, and my 2nd son built a hopper they snatch, we pick thru, and they practice on. It all works out beautifully. Some of the scrap actually gets put into use for permanent jobs ;)
That may be an option, the closest one is an hour away though, in Beltsville MD.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Jody did a video on this a while back. Go the James F Lincoln Foundation and pick up a bunch of their metal project kits. You get 3x3 inch 1/4 inch steel plates, and 2x6 inch 1/8 inch steel plates. I buy in bulk, and can get a box of 10 kits delivered for about $60. That's a lot of coupons and they are already cut. They are great for MIG, TIG and stick. Jody was using these in his latest video on 6013 stick welding. its cold rolled steel too, so much easier prep for TIG welding. http://www.jflf.org/ProductDetails.asp? ... Code=METAL
Multimatic 255
dgapilot

Thanks for that, just ordered some!

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Hi from just around the beltway (NoVA near Reston). Another way to find ends and drops is to check in with a welding or machine shop near you, and ask to pick through their scrap bin. They may need to sell it, since recouping scrap value is part of their business model, but you might get lucky, too.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
dgapilot

Artie F. Emm wrote:Hi from just around the beltway (NoVA near Reston). Another way to find ends and drops is to check in with a welding or machine shop near you, and ask to pick through their scrap bin. They may need to sell it, since recouping scrap value is part of their business model, but you might get lucky, too.
Haven't found very many fab/machine shops in the immediate area, but haven't looked real hard yet. So far, for most of my metal I end up going up to Maryland Metals in Hagerstown, or buy online and pay the shipping fees! Thanks for the suggestions!
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
dgapilot

Got home from work this afternoon and my wife says the front hall is like a retail store! Two boxes from Lincoln with a whole pile of steel coupons for practice! Also got 10 lbs each of 1/16 and 3/32 ER70S2, and 3 lbs each of 1/16 and 3/32 4043 rod.

David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene

dgapilot wrote:Got home from work this afternoon and my wife says the front hall is like a retail store! Two boxes from Lincoln with a whole pile of steel coupons for practice! Also got 10 lbs each of 1/16 and 3/32 ER70S2, and 3 lbs each of 1/16 and 3/32 4043 rod.

Go get it!! :lol:
Richard
Website
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

One thing about the coupons from Lincoln. Clean them well with acetone. They are oily.
Multimatic 255
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

dgapilot wrote:... and 3 lbs each of 1/16 and 3/32 4043 rod.
When you blow through that stuff, grab some 4943 rod. You will find it welds easier, wets better, and is far less prone to heat cracks. The 4043 is great for practice meanwhile, and certainly usable for welding. But the 4943 is a very nice "upgrade" wire. :)