Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Futterama
    Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am

Hi,

I just received a CK9 torch with the superflex cable, and the 3/8" BSP fitting has what looks like some solder splash on the rounded mating surface. Is this normal CK Worldwide quality control?

I thought CK was top quality, and all the other CK parts I ordered was top notch, so I guess I was just unlucky?

Ok, so I informed my dealer and I tried to remove the solder with a file and polish up with some fine grit sandpaper.

Now I want to gas leak test it so I'm sure there are no leaks. But how do I leak test the connections on that low pressure side of the welder? Do I block the TIG cup, activate the welder and let a pressure build up in the torch gas line and then spray soapy water on the connections? Can those gas lines hold up to the pressure?

Thanks.

EDIT: CK Worldwide and Rapid Welding sent me a replacement torch: http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =10#p99771
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (21.8 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Last edited by Futterama on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

To detect the leak, you shouldn't need very much CFM and simply covering the cup should promote bubbles if there is a leak. Its been my experience any leak appears within seconds once the exit orifice (primary) is covered, and even sometimes when the exit is also open. Your lines won't fail if the cup is sealed (think gas valve on torch type where the valve is closed until the arc is initiated).
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

As mentioned the hose will take any normal pressure - probably easiest way to leak check is to screw a back cap in both sides of the torch & screw the torch straight on the regulator not the machine & check with soapy water -but either will do - question is if that's a new torch it should not be acceptable to sell in such condition & the CK dealer should pay to have it returned & replaced - either CK is getting lapse on manufacture or when buying outside of the USA is it genuine as I've had some terrible quality gas lenses from them from the only authorized dealer I know of,
Futterama

Ah yes, gas valve on torch handle, that makes sense, the gas lines should hold up very well to the post-regulator pressure.

Back cap on both sides is a great idea, thanks!

The torch is brand new from Rapid Welding in UK. I can't tell if it's genuine, but it has a sticker label with CK Worldwide on the handle, the flex head has the text "CK WORLDWIDE" as part of the silicone rubber, it came in a "Master TIG series" box and the flex hose is really flexible as expected.

The answer from the logistics guy at Rapid Welding seems to indicate I can remove the solder but this from his answer I don't understand:
this could be removed and the product still can be used as the ring on the metal ring is the part that seal the adaptor stopping any leaks
The seal is made between the rounded end of the hose and the tapered hole in the DINSE adapter, right? :?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Futterama wrote:
this could be removed and the product still can be used as the ring on the metal ring is the part that seal the adaptor stopping any leaks
The seal is made between the rounded end of the hose and the tapered hole in the DINSE adapter, right? :?
yes, the bulb creates the seal, but the outer rings is used to tension the bulb into the socket. So the "ring" is part of the seal mechanism.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

This doesn't look right. I have a 20 series and all of the mating surfaces are a fine finish as I recall. I have not seen anything that has a raw casting finish for CGA fittings from any well known manufacturer. Personally, I would send the pics to CK and please let us know how it works out if you go that route. help@ckworldwide.com
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
Futterama

MFleet wrote:This doesn't look right. I have a 20 series and all of the mating surfaces are a fine finish as I recall. I have not seen anything that has a raw casting finish for CGA fittings from any well known manufacturer. Personally, I would send the pics to CK and please let us know how it works out if you go that route. help@ckworldwide.com
I have sent the pictures to CK now, explaining the situation. I'll let you know what they reply.

I haven't had the chance to pressure test the fitting yet as I'm waiting for a package from my machine supplier containing the correct adapter for hooking up the gas outlet on the machine to the DINSE connector I got along with the torch. If it ain't tight, I guess I'll have to ask for a replacement.

If I tighten down this "modified" fitting to the DINSE connector and I can't get it leak-tight, will it's bad seating affect the taper in the DINSE connector, making it unlikely to seal well on a new torch fitting?
What I mean is, if I need to ask for a replacement torch, would they have to replace the DINSE connector also to get a leak-free gas line system?
noddybrian

Unless you do it up to like 1000 ft/lbs ! I doubt it will hurt anything especially as it's solder which is soft - but the fact remains it's a very poor product & the supplier should arrange replacement - it's also not common to use this profile connection on standard BSP fittings - it maybe though that is the only type available from CK as their products are American based & their gas connections are not a standard used elsewhere ( both male & female BSP fittings have a taper though different by a small amount so seat on a narrow area with an allowance for wear ) as a last resort if you don't intend to change this connection on a regular basis you could use a thread seal / lock product though this is hardly an ideal scenario - I'll be interested to see the outcome as I only tried dealing with Rapid once & will not be again - hopefully CK themselves value their reputation & will resolve it - I find it odd that you cannot find a supplier closer to your location - even if it means using Ebay.
Futterama

I have removed the solder, it did not feel like soft tin solder, it felt more like silver solder.

I can't find any shop in my country that sells CK products, my machine supplier, which is local, haven't even heard about CK Worldwide and he has been a welder for 20 years. So it's not something we use here, but the CK9 torch was just right for me so I "took the chance" and ordered from UK.
noddybrian

I would think if you look around there must be a similar product available - just not that brand - most Chinese Tig machines I see have " superflex " hoses on of Chinese manufacture & are perfectly serviceable - I used a Chinese 17 ( with superflex )on a 200amp welder often flat out on aluminum for several years before it showed signs of heat damage - only changed to a CK due to comments on the forum - I now have a TL26 & some stubby parts from Rapid - would I do it again ? no way - it was weeks of frustration - unless you can tell them every part number they don't have the knowledge to sort it - it's over priced & in truth the torch get virtually as hot just as fast - if I change again as I may because I have a bigger 2nd hand machine coming soon hopefully I will probably get a " shopriver " water cooled torch & make a cooler - I hope you get this resolved soon & your happy with what you bought.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

noddybrian wrote:Unless ............... for wear ) as a last resort if you don't intend to change this connection on a regular basis you could use a thread seal / lock product though this is hardly an ideal scenario - I'll be interested to see the outcome as I only tried dealing with Rapid once & will not be again - hopefully CK themselves value their reputation & will resolve it - I find it odd that you cannot find a supplier closer to your location - even if it means using Ebay.
Is there the possibility that the UK suppliers graft a new Euro compatible fitting onto the power cable or even make their own PC ?

Thus the sloppy silver soldering job . I've had good service from TPS Weld Tec in UK ; keithp@tpsweldtech.com
Futterama

As mentioned, I emailed CK Worldwide and they have coordinated with Rapid Welding to get me a replacement unit.

Unfortunately, Rapid Welding was out of stock with the flex head version, so they took a rigid head version and fitted a replacement flexi head, leaving the rigid head in the box for me as a compliment.

In my eyes, very good service from both CK Worldwide and Rapid Welding and I'll be a rigid head richer from all this, so I'm a happy Rapid Welding/CK Worldwide customer 8-)
noddybrian

I'm glad you have it all sorted - though I do rather believe because you went to CK direct they told Rapid how is was going to go down to protect their product reputation - don't hold your breath on them doing it without protest themselves - but all is sorted in the end so good result.
Futterama

I received the replacement unit today and the fitting looks perfect this time 8-)
DSCF4474.JPG
DSCF4474.JPG (27.05 KiB) Viewed 931 times