Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Does anything look wrong with this weld to anybody? After I grind it down smooth it has these little dimples in it and I don't know why! One weld looks like it would be perfect and it has these dimples and a different weld looks like it would be bad and it turns out fine. I was wondering if maybe I'm adding filler too soon or too much at one time? What do y'all think?
Attachments
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG (37.47 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Oni
  • Oni
    Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 am

I only see one picture. If you are talking about the dimple at the end of the weld, that is from tapering off with the foot pedal to quickly. When you get to the end give the puddle an extra dip and let off the foot pedal a little slower while giving the torch a small stirring motion. That should help.
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

is this pic just an optical illusion, or is that weld bead gigantic in comparison to the base metals? it looks like 1/2" of weld on 20 gauge sheet.... Maybe that's your issue, way too much weld filler and it's doing all kinds of weird flow action before it cools
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
jroark

Sorry guys. I was using this weld as a before grinding view. It's not that big. It's 1/8" material. The little divot at the end wasn't the issue. I think after it's ground it seems to have some porosity hidden under it and I'm not sure why. I brush it and use acetone but I guess it's still not clean enough.
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

jroark wrote:Sorry guys. I was using this weld as a before grinding view. It's not that big. It's 1/8" material. The little divot at the end wasn't the issue. I think after it's ground it seems to have some porosity hidden under it and I'm not sure why. I brush it and use acetone but I guess it's still not clean enough.
Make sure you clean both sides of the metal.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You should adjust your AC balance, and make sure when you add filler, that you're getting the rod into the root of the fillet weld. It's been my experience, that aluminum due to its different behavior with penetration, is more susceptible to creating these pockets of porosity. It's tricky stuff to weld properly for sure-
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Not that I can offer any help, but for learning purposes could you post a pic of the post grind issue you speak of?
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm also curious to find out what your using to grind? Is it possible that your grinding device is getting loaded up by the aluminum? This can cause odd looking results when grinding in the surface finish.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
jroark

I'll try to get a post grind pic. I'm using a Carborundum flap disc and something like a scotch brite disc. It's tubing so I can't get to both sides of the material. Thanks for the tip on putting the filler in the root. I could have an issue with my technique. I'm really not super experienced as far as having lots of years of practice.