Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
usersony
    Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello, I have a question about tig puddles on steel. What is that bright spot/dot in a tig puddle? I can see it wander around the center of the puddle and am assuming that is where the energy is focused. Should I worry that it wanders? Is there anything to learn from it?
At one point I thought it was a reflection of the electrode but then I noticed it wanders.
Thanks for the help!
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

It's called the devil's eye. Guys doing a root pass will be looking for and wanting to see its presence.
Despite what others may think, I suspect it's contaminants and de-oxidizers from the filler rod,
floating up to and concentrating on the top of the balled puddle.
usersony

dave powelson wrote:It's called the devil's eye. Guys doing a root pass will be looking for and wanting to see its presence.
Despite what others may think, I suspect it's contaminants and de-oxidizers from the filler rod,
floating up to and concentrating on the top of the balled puddle.
Thanks for the info! I did some research into the Devil's Eye, and it makes sense.
Thank you Dave P.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Watching it is very important if your doing thin wall ss process tube with fusion only no filler. How it moves and the size will allow you to determine if your getting full penetration.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
usersony

Poland308 wrote:Watching it is very important if your doing thin wall ss process tube with fusion only no filler. How it moves and the size will allow you to determine if your getting full penetration.
Thank you Poland! Very interesting that a tiny little dot/little detail that I bet plenty of welders brush off as insignificant can give quite an insight!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I imagine Rick or others who do lots of it will or would be able to expound much more on the topic.
I have more questions than answers

Josh