Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
rr41mag
    Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 pm

I have a WPS but i had to fill it out myself. They then made corrections and sent it back to me. The difference was the the amperage and wire were bumped up. When I try welding to their specks the weld litterally falls off when welding in the overhead position. That tells me I'm not going fast enough. But when I go faster I know I don't get penetration.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

rr41mag wrote:I have a WPS but i had to fill it out myself. They then made corrections and sent it back to me. The difference was the the amperage and wire were bumped up. When I try welding to their specks the weld litterally falls off when welding in the overhead position. That tells me I'm not going fast enough. But when I go faster I know I don't get penetration.
=====

RR41mag.

When you wrote 'they' I assume you are talking about your employer's supervision.
So they want you to weld at a stated range of wire speed (change in sync with the amperage).
With that wire speed (amps), you will have to fine tune your voltage (temporarily set the voltage too high resulting in a unstable/wild arc, and then taper it back until the arc is controllable, this should give you a good fusion).

If the supervision wants you to run at the higher amperage range for that wire, then your 'gun moving technique' may need to change too.
My guess, if you move too slow in the overhead position, while running at the top range of the amperage for that wire, the puddle may drop out, so you will need to move along quicker, utilizing straight passes (without weaving).
You may help to keep your torch angle as straight as possible.
Also keep track of your stick-out (puddle to contact tip distance) ... this may need to be shortened.

Keep track of your parameters that you are using, from weld to weld during this qualification process.
The supervision might be using you to optimize the procedure.

Keep us informed.
Tanks.
Alexa
rr41mag

now this sounds like what I've been wanting to know. I just found out I can go to the test faculity. I would much rather do that then keep mailing these coupons off.
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

New here, but not to gmaw. Spray arc can only be done vertically with a pulse being used. You can run it flat and horizontal without pulse. Try 18 volts and 250-300 on your fill and cap. 15-16 volts and 180-220 on your root. Hope your downhilling the root. Uphill is a little tougher. Uphill your fill and cap. It will bend!
rr41mag

I noticed the sheet of recommendations had something about "pulse" (it wasn't a WPS) I started reading the machine settings owners manual. After running a few beads really hot 30/440. I switched the machine over to pulse. It welds alot better now but I cut one of the coupons and I'm not getting penetration. Like I said I've never been formally trained on mig welding. The Air Force concentrated on tig, stick and oxy/ace. I really appreciate all the help so far. I doubled up on my adderal today to help me get through the stress of welding these coupons.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

rr41mag wrote:I doubled up on my adderal today to help me get through the stress of welding these coupons.
That statement helps me understand you better.

I'll be looking back through your posts, and at your future posts, with that thought in mind.

I have some experience.

Steve S
Vince51

30/440 is most definitely a spray transfer setting. Should be very quiet at that setting. If its not turn your wire down a little at a time until it is quiet. Keep about a 3/4" stickout( wire sticking out of the nozzle). 98/2 argon like he said. Most machines have a preset for the pulses per minute. I know your not doing an open butt so give yourself a 3/16 gap before you tack your backing on for good penetration.

Almost every job has a wps. Companies have to prequalify a welding procedure before it can be used for construction. Once it's qualified the welder has to stay in those parameters for liability insurance reasons. Theses guys know their stuff and steering you right. Good luck man and lay off the shaky pills its just a weld haha
rr41mag

Ok I got my plates. I've got the machine set at pulse (which is cool with the tester) 50 and 300? I've started taking extra adderal too. The beads look great
rr41mag

Ready to run my plates today. I spent all day yesterday sanding cleaning etc. I took extra adderal this morning and am ready.
Vince51

Well don't leave us hanging. Any luck?
rr41mag

Let me see if I can load pictures, What do yall think? the left is verticle, the right is overhead.
Attachments
may28th 025.JPG
may28th 025.JPG (44.8 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
rr41mag

Terrible picture sorry bout that
rr41mag

I guess I'll be turning them in tomorrw. It will take about 4 to 5 days to get the results. I want to thank all yall for being patient with me and helping me out. Like I said I've never been formally trained on mig and yall help tremendously. Lets see if I put that good help to use. By the way I'm still taking double doses of my adderal. If I don't pass this test they are probably going to let me go. It's a great job too. I love going to work.

Visually, I think you're fine.

Despite the looser weave on the overhead, when I put this in my photo viewer and zoomed, I don't see any undercut, which is the big weakness in cap passes for the bend tests these will see.

As long as you're confident in the root, and the cleaning between passes, I think you have a solid shot at passing this.

Let us know how it goes!

Steve S

Also,

Don't hang your hat on one job.

EVERY job is a better job... an opportunity to learn something new.

Steve S
rr41mag

Steve thanks, I was worried the overhead didn't have enough cap on it. For some reason I started getting bad porosity come to find out I wasn't holding the arc short enough. They do have great penetration. I gapped them around 3/16 and burned it in real good. We will see. :)
rr41mag

The plates are packed up and will be getting shipped out tomorrow. Come to find out the company I work for noone is certified. I will be the "test bed" for getting everyone certified. The company I work for has over 1K employees too.