Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
MarkMooreDesign
    Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm looking to change over to Oxygen/Propane for heating with a rosebud torch tip. I'm presently using a hand me down Victor oxygen/acytelene cutting torch outfit with a rosebud. I use it primarily for heating up metal when I need to shape or bend metal but this is getting expensive. I never weld with it and seldom cut with it but use a lot of acetylene when using the rosebud to heat up steel.I do this for my living and work out my own shop. So the set up only needs to be movable around the shop.
So whats the best options for professionals(aka most efficient,with out dropping a lot of cash) for running a oxygen/ propane set up for heating up metal?
-Do I have to buy a whole new outfit with regulators and torch for oxy/propane
-Can you just buy a regulator ,tip and torch?
-What is compatible with propane?
-What do most professional do in regards of propane tanks? I do have six 20lb propane tanks that I've collected over the years.
Is it cheaper to get a bigger propane bottle rather than the bbq bottles? In my area a bbq refill cost about $12-18.
Any suggestion and info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Mark
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I have a Harris torch and just put a new tip on the cutting torch. That's what I do my heating with - been about 15 years.

They were cheap so I got a small one and a larger one. I've cut up to four inches thick with it and have no desire to go back to acetylene for cutting/heating needs.

There are huge heating tips available for oxy/propane but I have not used them.

If memory serves, every major brand has propane options so just head to you local welding store and get what you need. Bring your torch head so they can help you easier.

I've used 5lb up to 100lb tanks but use the 20lb most often. The regulator works but the hose should be changed to the one rated for propane.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:I have a Harris torch and just put a new tip on the cutting torch. That's what I do my heating with - been about 15 years.

They were cheap so I got a small one and a larger one. I've cut up to four inches thick with it and have no desire to go back to acetylene for cutting/heating needs.

There are huge heating tips available for oxy/propane but I have not used them.

If memory serves, every major brand has propane options so just head to you local welding store and get what you need. Bring your torch head so they can help you easier.

I've used 5lb up to 100lb tanks but use the 20lb most often. The regulator works but the hose should be changed to the one rated for propane.
What Dave said is right on!!! I converted to oxy/propane a while ago and it was the best decision I made. I too don't weld with oxy fuel gas. I only cut and heat with it. At the time, I had the money and dumped my oxy/acetylene regulators for the new Journeyman "Edge" (Victor's professional series large regulators) propane regulators. But to save money, you can still use your old acetylene regulators!!! For propane, you'll only need 5-6 psi and up through 10 psi for most cutting and heating tips. For a large propane rosebud tip, 15-25 PSI propane is what Victor recommends. Just change out your tips and like Dave said, the hose as well. You need a "T" grade hose to play it safe with propane and you're done. The acetylene regulator will work just fine for propane.

As far as propane tanks go, you can go through four large (250-300 cf 02 cylinders) for ever one 5-gallon "BBQ" style propane tank. 02 is very cheap as well. For oxy/propane, you go through about 3-4 times the 02 as compared to using acetylene. But gain, 02 is dirt cheap and propane is about 4 times less expensive than acetylene. I think that people that use oxy/acetylene exclusively for heating and cutting are pissing their money away.

Dave mentioned that he's cut 4" thick steel with propane. Victor makes a tip for oxy/propane that will cut through 16" of steel IIRC. I have a propane cutting tip from Victor that cuts through 8" (#6-GPN tip). I've cut several pieces of railroad track with my 8" tip, numerous times. My cuts look like a machine cut them.

The oxy/propane torch set up was the best investment I've ever switched up to.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I've Got a #2 tip on my torch, I'm not really sure on the tip size, it cuts 1in steel, 3 on acy, and 20 on oxy, very nicely....
Would propane pressure stay the same? using the same torch or do you have to get a propane torch?
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

AKweldshop wrote:I've Got a #2 tip on my torch, I'm not really sure on the tip size, it cuts 1in steel, 3 on acy, and 20 on oxy, very nicely....
Would propane pressure stay the same? using the same torch or do you have to get a propane torch?
John
My torch it was just a tip change, no need for a new torch.

If I recall, I usually run about 5-10 lbs on propane. Seems I usually run 15-30 lbs on oxygen, if memory serves.
Really depends which tip I have on and what I'm doing, heating or cutting.

Here is a discussion on pressures:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/fa ... gs-184788/

And some fuel comparisons by Harris:
http://apps.harrisproductsgroup.com/gascost/
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MarkMooreDesign
    Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Thank you everyone for your time and response, It's greatly appreciated. One question I have regarding the torch. Mine is a old used Victor torch maybe made in the 90's.I don't think its very high end. I only paid $70 for it about 6 years ago. It seams very touchy,like the flame is always decreasing as I use it and have to keep adjusting the knobs. The knobs are very easy to turn. I've tried to tighten them but it doesn't seam to do anything. Do the valves need to be replaced? Is it worth doing since I want to switch to propane and ways? Would it be better to sell it and just get a propane torch ready to go?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Very few people are shown how to properly set up a gas torch.

Before going out and buying new equipment, try the following.
- spin your regulator knobs out, to turn off the fuel and oxidizer pressures.
- open the torch valves all the way.
- slowly turn the fuel regulator knob in and light the torch.
- slowly turn the oxidizer regulator knob in to adjust the flame.
- your torch should now be properly set up for maximum operation.
- you can dial down the heat by using the torch knobs.

Remember the fuel is always turned on first to light the torch and off first to extinguish the torch.
If at any time, your torch pops and goes out, try moving up to the next larger tip size, but keep those pressures low.
For regular gas welding, no more than 4 psi of fuel and oxidizer is required, as long as you use the proper sized tip.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Unfortunately, most combination torch rigs don't have a very sensitive O2 regulator, making it hard to set low pressures for welding or rosebud heating. They're fine for cutting, but who in general use needs an O2 regulator that goes to 300 PSI? I don't go above 40 PSI cutting 1/2" steel, or 60 for 1 1/4". Most I ever used was 120PSI, doing heavy demolition on badly corroded steel.

An eighth of a turn will often take a typical O2 regulator from "off" to 10 PSI or more.

If you intend to do a lot of gas welding or heating, a regulator upgrade is a good investment, and will save much frustration.

Steve S
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Thank you both for the clear, stepwise and focussed discussion of this "regulator setting", "getting the right regulator" discussion.

Those of us who work alone can be entirely at the hands of sales people if we stray off our beaten tracks, and having information as you have provided at hand is of a great help (before we need to rush to the welding store).
james442
    Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:23 am

I'm looking to change over to Oxygen/Propane for heating with a rosebud torch tip. I'm presently using a hand me down Victor oxygen/acytelene cutting torch outfit with a rosebud. I use it primarily for heating up metal when I need to shape or bend metal but this is getting expensive. I never weld with it and seldom cut with it but use a lot of acetylene when using the rosebud to heat up steel.I do this for my living and work out my own shop. So the set up only needs to be movable around the shop.
jAMES