Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Mark_pippin_89
    Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I started as a helper in a fab shop about 4-5 months ago, and am learning to weld with flux core wire. my wife bought me a little teeny tiny 70 amp stick welder with a high, low, and off setting. it'll burn the 1/16" rods that came with it on low, but those beads are microscopic, the slag is near impossible to chip off. she bought me a box of 6011 1/8" lincoln electric rods to practice with as well, but this machine wont even begin to strike an arc with them, they stick and turn red. the 1/8" rods are useless to me with such a small machine. I asked one of the guys at work for advice, and he says i ought to try something like a 3/32" rod. can anyone help me? i just need something to practice my ass off with, so i can move up. I'm getting frustrated, I have a machine, but i can't find a rod to practice with. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well she meant well - but if your serious about welding sneak out & buy something better ! ( keep her's "on show" somewhere so as not to offend though ! ) as to 70 amps without any control - try buying a packet of good quality 6013 in 2.5mm - these usually run suggested amps of 50 > 70 depending on make - you should be able to make a fair weld just by dragging them with a little practice.

Good luck
Mark_pippin_89

thanks for the advice, both about the rods, and how not to offend a lady. :) I'll give em a try and let you know how they work out.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Mark,

The smallest electrode out there is the 1/16". If your set strong on 1/16" electrodes, I too second the 6013's. Both Forney and Lincoln make those. In fact, yesterday I saw Lincoln 1/16" 6013's both at Home Depot and Lowes. They come in a really small package, unlike standard electrodes. They're usually hanging on a wall display, unlike the 5 and 10lb boxes, which the stores lay on their sides on the shelf for the bigger 3/32" and 1/8" 6011's, 6013's and 7018AC's. Those tiny 1/16"s rods are sometimes hidden next to brazing (gas welding) rods, and may be difficult to locate at the store.

I also recommend you try out the next larger size electrode, which is a "5/64" rod. It falls between 1/16" and 3/32". The 1/16" rods are so thin, they shake too much when I try to use them. Whereas the 3/32" electrodes may just be on the "too big" size for your machine. I prefer the next larger 5/64's (6013) instead, as they run a bit more "stable" when I use them. I have never seen any 5/64" electrodes sold on any retailers or LWS's shelf. I've always had to order them via Internet, until recently when I found a new LWS store that carries "Forney" products. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Forney sells them and you can order them online. They should work with your 70A welder. I've used those 5/64" 6013's at around 50-60 amps IIRC.

Just remember, your small little welder is only designed for the ultra thin stuff, like 14ga steel. You'll have to play with it. I think your 3/32" rods are too big for your welder to handle.

The 6013 electrode by the way, was designed for thin sheet metal stuff. If you try to use anything else with that welder (ie 6011, 7018's etc...) you'll just frustrate yourself. You really need to upgrade to at least a Lincoln AC-225 style welder. You can find great used ones on craigslist all the time.

Here are the Forney 5/64" 6013 electrodes that you can order if you like. Make sure you DO NOT accidentally get the "5/32" rods! Those are BIG suckers that will never work in your toaster oven welder:
https://www.forneyind.com/store/detail/ ... 564_1_lbs/
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
grafted
    Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

mark,

I use 3/32 6011 all the time @65- 70 amps. The 1/8" is just a little bit too large for 70 amps.
I believe you will be more satisfied with the 3/32 rods .
Tom
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

Use 3/32" 6011 for practically everything except for very thin sheet metal (14ga. or thinner). Use the 1/16" 6013 for the thin stuff.
grafted

Mark,

Some wal-marts have a small welding sections near the tools with one pound packages of rods , so you can give them a try without buying 5 pounds of rods. Most of them are 5 dollars a pack. They do have some in 5/64 for lower amperage and they usuall carry the 3/32 6011. I only buy 5 lbs after I know I can use them properly with my welder.

Tom
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

The Local Welding Suppliers in my area, give me sample rods to try out.
It might be worth a try, to ask them for samples in your area.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

See if you can get the receipt and take it back.The 'tard behind the counter should go for it unless it's a true "murkin" with a name tag and delusions of grandeur(company man).
Get a used AC225-235 off a list or in a bay.With that, a nice collection of electrodes and some practice ? You can weld damn near anything that comes your way......with patience.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

yea, 70 amps is worthless's brother-in-law :|
try and sell it :|

best I can do for you

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I would recommend the Everlast PowerArc200 stick welder, look it up on http://www.amazon.com
they sell for $349
best bang for your buck anyplace ;)

good luck, John :)

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Ive got one of them, slick. Smooth on tig too.

weldin mike 27 wrote: slick. Smooth on tig too.
I was talking the stick welder only, they sell for $349
Mick, your welder sells for $579
if Mark needs a tig, Mick's model should work well for Mark....

$00.2

John :)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Nah im talking the powerarc 200 with scratch start tig kit (optional ) happy times.

Mick

Oh, sorry Mick, :oops:
A scratch start tig unit has a nice arc across the board.... bout as reliable an arc as it gets.... 8-)

John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

And helps to keep the skills silky as well.

weldin mike 27 wrote:And helps to keep the skills silky as well.
that's for sure
easy to get spoiled on these high end machines :lol:

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Mark_pippin_89

sorry I haven't been back online to let you guys know how it went, I've been super busy. getting ready for an open root 3G test. I took the 1/8 6011's back and picked up a box of 3/32 6013's, which work amazingly well. where I'm from, we don't measure thickness as a "gauge", it's all inches. The only bad thing about the rods, is they're like 17$ and change for a 5 pound box, which is the second most pricey box of rods in the store.

a guy at work today, was practicing, and laid down a nice fat bead with so much porosity, that i nearly got sick looking at it. just thinking about it is making my head spin, and giving me super awful anxiety. I was thoroughly disgusted by the sight. :shock:
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Mark_pippin_89 wrote:sorry I haven't been back online to let you guys know how it went, I've been super busy. getting ready for an open root 3G test. I took the 1/8 6011's back and picked up a box of 3/32 6013's, which work amazingly well. where I'm from, we don't measure thickness as a "gauge", it's all inches. The only bad thing about the rods, is they're like 17$ and change for a 5 pound box, which is the second most pricey box of rods in the store.

a guy at work today, was practicing, and laid down a nice fat bead with so much porosity, that i nearly got sick looking at it. just thinking about it is making my head spin, and giving me super awful anxiety. I was thoroughly disgusted by the sight. :shock:
6013's (as well as 7014's in close second place), need a tight arc. If you just long arc it however slight, you'll get "worm holes" (aka: porosity). Keep a tight clean arc.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
grafted

weldin mike 27 wrote:Nah im talking the powerarc 200 with scratch start tig kit (optional ) happy times.

Mick
Mick,
Are any of the PowerArc 200 duel voltage ?

Tom

Hey.

I dunno mate, Im in australia and we only have one single phase voltage, 240..

Mick
grafted

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey.

I dunno mate, Im in australia and we only have one single phase voltage, 240..

Mick
That makes it simple !
Thanks
Tom

Hey,

Thats for home use, in the workshops we get into 3phase from 240 volt to 418v and upwards .