Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is another test I hebe been working on. It is 2" XXS SA106 in 6G welded to ASME 9 procedure. If I remember correctly, I ran two practice pieces and this is my first "real" test. I simulated the UA 21 test, 1/8" 6010 root up and 1/8" 7018 fill/cap up. I was a little more nervous on this one and really had to work on body positioning and manipulation to make all the transitions well. Again this will be used to establish our PQR/WPS so I have that butterfly in the stomach feeling. I am not as confident that this one will pass but we will see. There is a hint of undercut on both sides but I am sending it up anyway.

I was accused if "showing off" my skill or "bragging" here in what I have done. Those that know me know that is not the case. It is a little brag, which I feel we are ALL entitled to, but more a help for those who might be searching or help on any of these tests. Really, we don't get to see pics of years like this all the way through. I know I search high and low for any ounce if help I can get and the pics and specs I believe will help others out. I am getting over that don't want to show all my welds stage that sometimes we all have and am more willing to show real life welds. As Jody would say, I hope this helps someone if they are going for a test, that is my goal.

Again, pass or fail I will share the results and pictures.
http://www.pftf597.org/assets/1/7/UA-21.pdf
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.95 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 1454 times

Fill passes.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 1453 times

Cover passes and root
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.1 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.66 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

Superiorwelding wrote:I was accused if "showing off" my skill or "bragging"
I don't see it that way at all :? ! I love looking at other people's work. I for one appreciate you taking the time to post ;) . My working days are over, but I haven't stopped learning.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No, I don't see it.

I've never seen one of your posts demonstrate "pride". Just the facts.

That's what we're supposed to be about... Information that may help the next guy.

Steve S
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I was accused if "showing off" my skill or "bragging" here in what I have done. Those that know me know that is not the case. It is a little brag, which I feel we are ALL entitled to, but more a help for those who might be searching or help on any of these tests. Really, we don't get to see pics of years like this all the way through. I know I search high and low for any ounce if help I can get and the pics and specs I believe will help others out. I am getting over that don't want to show all my welds stage that sometimes we all have and am more willing to show real life welds. As Jody would say, I hope this helps someone if they are going for a test, that is my goal.

when you jump into a post to help someone with a question or
a problem you are not condescending, just helpful.
when you post photos of welds that everyone in this forum may
not be familiar with you are sharing knowledge , simple as that.
thanks for the post.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

What I found the funniest was someone said that some see me as a computer weldor and I will not "graduate" until I show that I can pass a test. Quite honestly I had a good laugh. :lol: I am not a member here to boost my ego or to make other feel inferior. I get to do things, weld on things and see things that some might not get to do, just like others get to do things that I don't. I love to share them because I know I like I see pics or read stories from other members about things I have never done before. (Tuesday I am getting a special machine, for me anyway, to demo)

Here is a good example of why I share, try looking up a video or pictures of 6G MIG. Last time I looked there was not much out there. When I get my 6G mig done I will post it here, it will help someone, good or bad.

I was talking with a few members the other day, I think there needs to be more shared on the fails of a test. What? :o Yes, there are a lot of pics of weldors that have passed bends,x-ray etc. but where are the fails? For me, this helps show what I should not have done. This is why I determined to share my bends pass or fail and hopefully a fail can direct someone in the correct direction!!
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

-Jonathan
there are those in this forum that will need to learn these processes to earn
a living and those like myself who will probably never weld pipe or have to
pass a test. believe me it does not make it any less interesting or useful.
there are certainly more members here that enjoy your useful impute to bother
with the few that do not.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Jonathan makes an excellent point.

I don't do it often, but I will share the welds I'm disappointed with, and discuss why. There's possibly more value in discussions of "fails" than successes, because a fail always has a "why" we can reach, and learn from.

I think we all tend to understand "what went wrong", and analyze and learn. A perfect weld can only give 72 variables that didn't go wrong, which teaches almost nothing...

Steve S
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan makes an excellent point.

I don't do it often, but I will share the welds I'm disappointed with, and discuss why. There's possibly more value in discussions of "fails" than successes, because a fail always has a "why" we can reach, and learn from.

I think we all tend to understand "what went wrong", and analyze and learn. A perfect weld can only give 72 variables that didn't go wrong, which teaches almost nothing...

Steve S
I don't know if "a perfect" weld actually exists. At least nothing I have done would fall in that category, and if it did I might just quit welding all together!

Looking good bro keep it up!
-Sean

forrestderp wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Jonathan makes an excellent point.

Steve S
I don't know if "a perfect" weld actually exists. At least nothing I have done would fall in that category, and if it did I might just quit welding all together!

Looking good bro keep it up!
-Sean
What's funny is "perfect" is subject to opinion and perspective. But that can get into a big debate.

On a positive note, I received word that I passed this test as well!!! Should have the bends Friday.
-Jonathan

"Perfect" is any weld you don't have to cut out and repeat.

"Perfect" is anything you don't have to do twice.

Trust me. This definition will save you much stress.

Steve S
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

That looks really good, congrats on passing. If you run into another situation like that where you have slight undercut and you can get away with it if you file that stuff out and wire wheel the crap out of it you will get rid of the undercut without being able to tell you filed on it.

They say the proof is in the pudding so here it is. This is a "pass" although you can see two spots of inclusions. Not to happy about that but not every weld is perfect.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 938 times