Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

Doing a little reading up on using a single stage regulator when TIG welding, and wanted to see what other's thoughts were?

Currently, i'm using a Harris 601 Single Stage Regulator (has an outlet gauge measured out in L/min & Scfh) that came with my Lincoln Pro-Mig 175 I got around a decade ago to regulate the Argon I use with my Miller Dynasty 200 SD.

I read somewhere on the internet regulators meter out at a higher pressure than flowmeters, but I do not know whether this information is credible or not. With that said, using this single stage regulator; will it use up Argon at a faster rate than a single stage flowmeter would even if they were both set at the same Scfh (i.e., 20 scfh) when used?

A flowmeter is best, the ball will verify that gas is flowing, you'll use less gas and know what the flow rate is.
You should be able to get a new for around $100, maybe less.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Can't beat the HTP single flowmeter for the price:quality ratio.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Flowmeters and regulators usually work in a fixed pressure range been 20 to 80 psi. It's often specified on the gauge or in the model number. That HTP is 45/50ish psi. Regardless of pressure, they will flow the same amount of gas at the same setting. That's different from OxyAcetlyene gauges which measure and change output pressure not volume.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

This is a personal thing but I hate those flow meters everyone goes on about especially that HTP thing which seems to have one of the highest set pressures around because they all have such high preset pressures & waste so much gas - there has been ample discussion already on limiting this effect through the use of small bore pipe of the shortest possible length from bottle to machine or moving the flow gauge to the front of the machine - I however have always used a normal pressure adjustable gauge with a ball type flow gauge either fixed directly on or on the machine front if practical - in use open the needle valve of the flow gauge completely with the pressure regulator unscrewed - gently increase pressure till you have about 10 > 15 % more flow than needed - now trim down with the needle valve to get exact flow required - when the flow is stopped by the machines solonoid valve the pressure will only increase very slightly & the resulting surge on next use will be very small - I also think using a 2stage regulator is a good thing to maintain good consistent gas flow regardless of cylinder pressure.

noddybrian wrote:- I however have always used a normal pressure adjustable gauge with a ball type flow gauge either fixed directly on or on the machine front if practical - in use open the needle valve of the flow gauge completely with the pressure regulator unscrewed - gently increase pressure till you have about 10 > 15 % more flow than needed - now trim down with the needle valve to get exact flow required - when the flow is stopped by the machines solonoid valve the pressure will only increase very slightly & the resulting surge on next use will be very small - I also think using a 2stage regulator is a good thing to maintain good consistent gas flow regardless of cylinder pressure.
Can you provide a link showing this gage?

Thanks
Richard
Website
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

noddybrian wrote:This is a personal thing but I hate those flow meters everyone goes on about especially that HTP thing which seems to have one of the highest set pressures around because they all have such high preset pressures & waste so much gas - there has been ample discussion already on limiting this effect through the use of small bore pipe of the shortest possible length from bottle to machine or moving the flow gauge to the front of the machine - I however have always used a normal pressure adjustable gauge with a ball type flow gauge either fixed directly on or on the machine front if practical - in use open the needle valve of the flow gauge completely with the pressure regulator unscrewed - gently increase pressure till you have about 10 > 15 % more flow than needed - now trim down with the needle valve to get exact flow required - when the flow is stopped by the machines solonoid valve the pressure will only increase very slightly & the resulting surge on next use will be very small - I also think using a 2stage regulator is a good thing to maintain good consistent gas flow regardless of cylinder pressure.
Sounds like a really complex way of doing things. I run Victor 2425 flowmeter that is max of 25psi hence the number in the model. They also have a 2480 guess what that is? Yep, 80psi. Otherwise it's the same gauge.
Here is the link to the updated and changed model number# of these gauges http://victortechnologies.com/victor/pr ... 00&W6Code=
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Not nearly as complicated as it sounded.

Do it once, set it, and forget it.

I used to work with valved torches running from oxygen regulators. (Lift-arc stuff on 200' leads.) Being able to set the pressure at the source, and the flow locally, is the ideal solution.

Steve S