Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
firstdraft33
    Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:31 pm

I am very new to tig welding and I am searching for my first tig welder. I have narrowed it down to Lincoln Square Wave 200 and the CKWW mt200. I am having troubles finding actual reviews of the mt200 and was wondering if any of you have some thoughts. From reading, it seems that the mt200 with its 5 amp start and a few more settings would be a good choice.

Thanks.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Knowing what you will be welding would be helpful if you're looking for tig welder recommendations/advice, I personally went with the everlasting powetig 250 for 1,950$ cad. Haven't used it yet though.waiting on the 220 power to be put in, if it's a welder your thinking of getting let me know, and I'll reply with how well it runs when I get a chance

Noah
firstdraft33

I am a home hobbyist welder looking to expand into tig welding. I have some projects that require some thin wall Aluminum and thin wall DOM and felt like this was a good time to expand my skill set.

I have done some reading on the Everlast welders. From a performance perspective they seem like they would do what I need them to do. But I was turned away by the lack of service and the many stories out there of people having to wait months to get repairs.

firstdraft33 wrote: From reading, it seems that the mt200 with its 5 amp start and a few more settings would be a good choice.
Thanks.
I agree, the other thing that would bother me about the Lincoln is the 15 second NON ADJUSTABLE post flow, which would waste a lot of gas, otherwise from reviews it seems the Lincoln is a decent unit for the price.

Your quote above inplies that you're aware of the harsh start current of the Lincoln, BTW I believe Jody has a short video review, however if you've seen others then you probably already know this machine strengths and weaknesses

Did you download the brochure for the CK MT200 and read it?
Richard
Website
firstdraft33

Yeah I have seen Jody's video on the Lincoln. For the cost it seems a pretty good machine, but think I want to spend a little more and get the better arc start.

I have ready through the brochure on the mt200. Seems like a good fit, I just wish that there were more user reviews rather than commercial reviews.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

2013 Everlast 250ex,upgraded torch and pedal, welds all I've asked of it.Thin to thick 1/2+ steel and alum. Still pleased with welder.All questions promptly answered by tech staff(phone & email). :D
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

firstdraft33 wrote:Yeah I have seen Jody's video on the Lincoln. For the cost it seems a pretty good machine, but think I want to spend a little more and get the better arc start.

I have ready through the brochure on the mt200. Seems like a good fit, I just wish that there were more user reviews rather than commercial reviews.
Plus the CK would probably have to be shipped back for repair should that happen.

Since you want AC as well, the cost of admission is higher. if you buy an Everlast thru Home Depot it's available with a protection plan, back by HD. Plus you could return within their policy if you don't like it.
Attachments
everlast.jpg
everlast.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Richard
Website
firstdraft33

Since you want AC as well, the cost of admission is higher. if you buy an Everlast thru Home Depot it's available with a protection plan, back by HD. Plus you could return within their policy if you don't like it.
That's a pretty good deal. I like the idea of buying it through Home Depot.

firstdraft33 wrote:
That's a pretty good deal. I like the idea of buying it through Home Depot.
I would double check HD policy just to be sure, I'm passing on this info from another forum post, so buyer beware...

Some buyers have gotten good package deals dealing with Everlast directly, so you'll have to also buy all the cables, torch and pedal.

BTW Everlast has a forum on Welding Web you can ask questions directly there before any purchase
Richard
Website
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

I weld with a Miller Dynasty 350 at work and my Everlast 256s at home, and except for some extreme circumstances I can do everything with my Everlast that can be done with the miller. Not to say you cant with the CK or the Lincoln but for the price I really believe Everlast is the best. Perhaps an early Everlast would have been problematic but I have 2 and have had the first for a little over 3 years and it is amazing. All that being said spring for the PowerPro series to get a plasma cutter built in (I use mine allll the time) and for only a couple hundred dollars more getting a plasma cutter is a great addition to the shop arsenal.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Check with Gamble, believe this is basically the same as the new Razorweld TIG machine that he is vs dealer for. There is recent thread on the razorweld too
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

This is what i've had for 3 years and it is the best deal out there (in my humble opinion)
duckracer
    Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 am

New guy here. I just picked up a Lincoln square wave 200, and so far I love it. Very user friendly, comes as a complete kit. Only thing you need to add is a cart and argon. It even comes with one 3/32 and one 1/16 purple tungstens and appropriate collets. I got it home and put it to work welding an aluminum fan shroud and air box for my Z3. The welder did the job without issue and much better than my 15 year old Miller Econotig. But I also loved my Econotig. That thing had so so reviews, but it has been a very dependable machine. So take my review with a grain of salt so to speak.