General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
pittjw
    Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Setting up a new combination carport/shop... welding 40+ years but finally will own a tig welder (Everlast 200DV). Would appreciate any information on your real experiences/practices with HF start. I have not been able to find written or video accounts of actual experience. I see plenty of theory and I have little doubt of the "potential" for "sensitive" electronics to become damaged but how do we translate that commonly heard caution in to an actual strategy like UNPLUG the expensive Nova drill press or computer controlled Fredrich Air Conditioner or Apple iMac or move the cars 61 ft away. My modest shop is small and Ive built the ability to move tools out under a carport to work... but this is still 10 - 20 ft away from all this stuff. I spoke with Mark at Everlast and he advised to hook up the machine to a separate ground rod. What do you do on a given day ? What have been your experiences ? Of all the great videos Ive watched and researched, surely there is a car parked nearby or an iPad or phone laying around ??? Very much appreciate any commentary.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

There's is always talk about it, but I personally know many guys who tig weld with their smart phones in their top pockets and never have a problem.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:There's is always talk about it, but I personally know many guys who tig weld with their smart phones in their top pockets and never have a problem.
If you’re going to talk about me, then just call me out by name! Damn, Mike :o :lol:

My shop is small too, 1/2 shop, 1/2 garage bay. I use Bluetooth devices adjacent to my TIG welders, speakers, phones, digital measuring tools. I’ve never had an issue. My welder is ground directly to my table always, unless the part is too large to comfortably fit on the table. Heck, I’ve even welded directly on modern cars/trucks with all the new, fancy shmancy sensors and modules without issue. I do, ground close by to the work. I’ve even welded parts directly while they were in a CNC lathe come to think of it. Never seen a problem. Maybe I’m too stupid to recognize the potential hazard?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I believe this was an issue with old transformer sine wave machines that required full time hf to keep the arc lit. Modern square wave power sources only require hf for arc starts and so no longer a problem.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I would worry about is if you have pacemaker. I have an electronic spinal stimulator implanted in my back, was cautioned about it as far as EMF, RF, HF, etc......... well, I took the chance, didn't hurt it, or me. I keep my phone in my pocket. There's a lot of circuitry in my inverter welders, hasn't hurt them either.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

My experience is my radio reception drops out when I hit the pedal when welding aluminium.
This is with a 200 amp inverter machine.
Smart phone is usually within 10 feet, no issues, yet.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....

I believe Mark at EL was referring to the electrical ground, which is typically a copper rod driven into the ground. I weld in my garage with my inverter, and my cell always near by (3ft) no issues, same with a car.

My electrical panel is grounded to the water line
Richard
Website
pittjw
    Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Very much appreciate the info !
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

When I worked at a LWS I'd received complaints from people saying that HF killed their grinder that was on the table when they started welding.

I used to have them bring it in and I'd replace the brushes. I don't know how HF wears down brushes that quickly, but it worked every time. :lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The grinder can form a path for the ground, but that's not related to HF. Cj, I knew i knew you. I have to leave mine in my locker, but again, not related to HF more like FBA.