General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
johnnyringo
    Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 am

Greetings and thanks for allowing me to join.

The last time I Tig welded, it was known as Heli-Arc. That was almost 50 years ago.
I was involved in drag racing building Funny Car chassis from 4130 chrome moly.

I'm a geezer now and decided to take up welding again as a hobby.
I have purchased a Miller Diversion 180 and a Miller plasma cutter.
I also bought a Miller FX 30 welding table.

First question I have is what is the height of your welding tables? The 36" FX table seems too high for me.
At my age I prefer to sit while welding. So what do you folks use?

Also, where is a good place to get metal to practice on?

Thanks to all for your input. JR
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I built my table between 30-32". Perfect height for me to stand comfortably at while assembling/fixturing, stand and weld, or seat on a stool for "production part" welding. You can also adjust the height of your stool for your own comfort (maybe build a small tray for your TIG pedal to track with you as you roll around like a Bass Boat trolling motor pedal).

I'd leave a 6" overhang on the edges for clamping too (from support structure).
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’m at about 32-34 but my stool is adjustable.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

You don't specify your location, where I'm at there is an Alro Metals Plus which sells cut to length material. You could also try local fabrication shops that may sell or donate some of their scrap/drop pieces. If you know of a laser or waterjet shop, same thing go in and ask

Don't know how tall you are, maybe get an adjustable height chair to sit and weld?
Richard
Website
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

For practice metals, I buy “proto-boxes” from onlinemetals.com. They are basically drops from various shapes and materials at a reasonable price(compared to local availability). You kinda just get what they have at the time but welding the different shape combinations has been good practice for me anyway.
johnnyringo
    Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 am

Thanks for the reply's.
I'm in Vero Beach, FL I tried one local fabrication shop where I had previously bought metal, but the owner blew me off.
I'm about 5'7" and shrinking ;-)

johnnyringo wrote:Thanks for the reply's.
I'm in Vero Beach, FL I tried one local fabrication shop where I had previously bought metal, but the owner blew me off.
I'm about 5'7" and shrinking ;-)
Alro metals outlet in Winter Springs and Pompano beach, so it looks like Pampano is around 100 miles, might be worth the drive if you have a significant list of materials to buy
Richard
Website
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i tend to make my tables that i stand at the height of my arms at a right angle to my body or slightly higher.
same when i am sitting at a bench so you stool height has to figure into my finished table height.
just how i do it.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

johnnyringo wrote:Also, where is a good place to get metal to practice on?
I took a few welding classes at the local community college after I retired. They get so much extra scrap metal from local companies that they're happy to give it away rather than just send it to the scrapper. If you're near a community college you might try taking a class to see if they have extra material you could have. The other nice thing is they have a lot of fabrication equipment, so I can drop in and use it if I have a project I can't make with a hammer and a torch.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Welcome Johnny :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Darrin
    Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:10 am

I own a bicycle shop and i cant give away old frames and forks....cro-mo, ally, hi-ten.....no one wants them so i take them to the scrapper. Maybe try your local bike shop???cut em up and weld away!!!
Esseti AC/DC 200
Uni mig mini mig 180
Rossi ct 416 plasma