General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
MattNSW
    Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 am

I'm thinking of picking one of these up as I'm tired of matching holes up and finding one slightly out, does anyone use them and are they worth the cost?

And before anyone mentions it, yes I am going to get my eyes checked. I'm not getting any younger, my mid life crisis is looming, and I'm planning to buy a stack of tools instead of an impractical Italian sports car :D
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

MattNSW wrote:I'm not getting any younger, my mid life crisis is looming, and I'm planning to buy a stack of tools instead of an impractical Italian sports car :D
If not, then you certainly need to buy some impractical Italian tools else it won't be a true midlife crisis. :o
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

At 63 years old, bad vision, I don't need an optical center punch. Mr Pete ( Your You Tube Shop Teacher) taught me to find the center of scribed lines by feel, with a sharpen automatic center punch, and it works!

So I can't see or hear, but thank God I still can drive Italian sports cars! :lol:
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
MattNSW
    Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 am

Ah yes but does Mr Pete's method have the "ooh, isn't it shiny" factor?

Never heard of the channel, actually - I'll check it out, might save myself a few bucks. Thanks for the tip.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I'm 71, I bought two of those over your glasses magnifiers (I'e got astigmatism, bad), on sale at Harbor freight, removed the lights & flip down lenses, (lights are a joke). I have the 'bubble-pack' bag they came in dangling from the ceiling where I mostly use it, have not had to clean lenses since purchase. Other set I have in my 'office' (<- thats a stretch!!)

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

tungstendipper wrote:AMr Pete ( Your You Tube Shop Teacher)
I am anything but a youtube warrior and all my YT searches come up with is nonsense when I try to find this guy. Can someone take mercy on a poor old retired GI and give me an azimuth check to the objective?

Thanks and best regards to all
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

LanceR wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:AMr Pete ( Your You Tube Shop Teacher)
I am anything but a youtube warrior and all my YT searches come up with is nonsense when I try to find this guy. Can someone take mercy on a poor old retired GI and give me an azimuth check to the objective?

Thanks and best regards to all
Try this page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLIId ... 8E76KP7sQg
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

I do not currently have one but have used them at the place I used to work. I found it to be a useful and handy tool to have around. I would not call it "indispensable" by any means, but it worked as advertised and did make it easy to pick up intersecting lines and get an accurately placed divot. It was particularly useful if you had to line up to lines that were not scribed into the surface, such as a pencil or fine marker line.