General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yup, but I wouldn't be able to use it on either of my Optrel's. :x
Coldman

I can use it on mine 8-)

when it actually makes it to the backside of the world. :roll:

Coldman, looks like you're gonna get your wish. Optrel USA CEO reached out to me to try out the new headgear. I told him no dice since I already butchered both my shells to accept Miller headgear and said butchery will no longer allow the use of optrel headgear. He says, no problem we can replace the shell as well. :)
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Which generation of miller headgear do you use? the headgear on the digital elite I got from work is extremely worn out and I'm tempted to spend 20-30 dollars to replace it.

Coldman

Dayem. Looking forward to the review.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Oscar wrote:Coldman, looks like you're gonna get your wish. Optrel USA CEO reached out to me to try out the new headgear. I told him no dice since I already butchered both my shells to accept Miller headgear and said butchery will no longer allow the use of optrel headgear. He says, no problem we can replace the shell as well. :)
That's pretty funny. :D

If you think about it, it's pretty sad that in today'd day and age, we're still waiting on a functioning headgear for a welding helmet, that will last more than a year or three.

BugHunter wrote: If you think about it, it's pretty sad that in today'd day and age, we're still waiting on a functioning headgear for a welding helmet, that will last more than a year or three.
Is it that it will last a year or two, or that it's comfortable and operates as it should? Or all of the above ;)
Richard
Website
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Most folks buying helmets seem to be most concerned about the 'view'. It isn't until later on, when they are in pain, that they think about the headgear.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

LtBadd wrote:Is it that it will last a year or two, or that it's comfortable and operates as it should? Or all of the above ;)
I don't even care that much about comfort as much as I do the lid staying open when I want it to and closing when I want it to... Emphasis on when "I" want it to. :D
Most folks buying helmets seem to be most concerned about the 'view'. It isn't until later on, when they are in pain, that they think about the headgear.
I'd like to see a line of super-cheapo super-lightweight helmets. My Lincoln doesn't need to be anywhere near as heavy as it is. Even just fixing that would eliminate a lot of the headgear issues I've had. My helmet could be paper thin for all I care.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Personally, I would be happy with headgear that would hold the helmet on my head in the same dman place. I seldom get to weld in an upright position so I maybe asking too much...
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Coldman

Hey Oscar,
when you're chatting with the Optrel CEO again, why don't you mention to him it would be a great idea for a comprehensive field trial to have someone in the backside of the world (like Oz) try it too (you know lot of southern hemisphere upside down welding) and you know just the gentleman to do it for them?
:D
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Oscar, is that headgear you used on your optrel hood the same gear found in the viking 3350?

Yea, tell them to fly you there and you'll hand deliver itself :)
Richard
Website

BillE.Dee wrote:Oscar, is that headgear you used on your optrel hood the same gear found in the viking 3350?
The one I retrofitted onto my Optrel's is Miller headgear.

Optrel USA CEO shipped the iso-fit headgear to me today.
Chris H
    Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Just ordered the optrel crystal 2.0 with the PAPR and is of it headgear. They just realized the crystal 2.0 lens in th Panoramax but don’t have it as a PAPR yet. Can’t wait to weld with this and will post when I do. Should have it by next Friday.

Nice. Let's see how our notes compare after we get to try them on.
Chris H
    Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm

Oscar, will do. Tried to type “isofit” headgear. Did not notice my typo. I ordered that with the crystal 2.0. Will let you know how it works. I think you are also trying that out? Curious what you think.

Yes, I've already posted here and therd about the 2.0. Great helmet!