General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I'm in need of 24" of 40mm, 3mm wall, steel tubing. Struggling to find it anywhere online. Figured I'd take a shot in the dark here to see if anyone had some drop offs I could purchase from them. Actually need two 12" pieces...so doesn't need to be one 24" piece.

This is for a sliding tube assembly that needs to mate with existing parts for a custom jack build for a customer, so those dimensions are somewhat critical.

Thanks for any help.

Just a quick search, online metals has it, usually they allow a custom cut length, not for this though
LINK

If you are on their email list you always get a monthly code for 15% off
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Metric tube and pipe sources in the us suck. Last time I needed pipe I found a place in New Jersey that supplies it but I can’t remember the name.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Alro Steel is down your way. York and Philly I think.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

I thought this outfit ; https://www.metricmcc.com/tube-fittings had structural tube, unfortunately not.

But maybe the link will be useful to someone down the road.
Spartan

Thanks for the info, folks.

LtBadd - I had checked Onlinemetals and saw nothing metric from them. I hate their site ever since they got bought out. Too hard now to find what you need. Used to buy from them often, but haven't since that site transition. But that might be the best/only option, so thanks for the link. What a shame that they charge nearly $100 for 5 ft of tube in that size...WTF... :lol:
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Got some on the rack. Slip on by and I'll cut you a piece.[emoji16]
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Spartan

Coldman wrote:Got some on the rack. Slip on by and I'll cut you a piece.[emoji16]
Lol. I do make it to Brisbane on occasion to let your Aussie sailors show me how to drink. Great food and beautiful women.
Spartan

Still have part of a bottle. Not quite sure how I got this on the plane. That's all a little fuzzy.
IMG_2811.jpg
IMG_2811.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You need telescopic tubing if it is intended to slip internally. Otherwise, the weld will be a bitch. Good luck finding it here in steel.
Coldman

Spartan wrote:Still have part of a bottle. Not quite sure how I got this on the plane. That's all a little fuzzy.
IMG_2811.jpg
Yer, that stuff is rocket fuel. Seen plenty of guys go ballistic after pouring it down on top of beers. When Bundy appears late in a party, that's my cue to call it a night.
Coldman

Spartan wrote:Still have part of a bottle. Not quite sure how I got this on the plane. That's all a little fuzzy.
IMG_2811.jpg
Yer, that stuff is rocket fuel. Seen plenty of guys go ballistic after pouring it down on top of beers. When Bundy appears late in a party, that's my cue to call it a night.
Spartan

Thought about calling the customer to tell him I couldn't do the job. But then thought about what a load of BS that was, so decided to adapt and overcome. Cut down some 2", 11ga angle on the mill to closely match the 40mm specs, and then TIG welded two pieces of the angle together to make two square tubes each 12" long. Got the job done (jack mod) and was able to get the needed telescoping-tube action. The customer picked up today. He was an older gentleman and was so happy with the result and that he now has a way to lift his mower so he can work on it. Totally worth the extra effort. What a great feeling!

Meant to get pics along the way, but unfortunately realized just now that the only pic I took was of the stock on the mill. Oops...
IMG_2819.jpg
IMG_2819.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Well done!
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

Good deal
Richard
Website
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Sorry, but it isn't made out of Metric Steel, -2 points for not using spec material.
Using your brain to overcome a problem is unacceptable in today's world. :D
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!

VA-Sawyer wrote:Sorry, but it isn't made out of Metric Steel, -2 points for not using spec material.
Rick did someone spoil your parade? :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Plenty of people call Bundy "lunatic soup" for some reason it always seems like a good idea to drink the last 2 inchs out of the bottle straight...
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

LtBadd wrote:
VA-Sawyer wrote:Sorry, but it isn't made out of Metric Steel, -2 points for not using spec material.
Not at all, Richard. I liked the way Spartan figured a solution around the problem. He achieved the objective by pure willpower. Too many folks today think that they deserve a pat on the back, just for 'thinking about trying' Actually trying would be going too far.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

VA-Sawyer wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
Not at all, Richard. I liked the way Spartan figured a solution around the problem. He achieved the objective by pure willpower. Too many folks today think that they deserve a pat on the back, just for 'thinking about trying' Actually trying would be going too far.
Amen!

Metric ain’t that different. Make the magic happen, with a grinder!
I have more questions than answers

Josh