General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Has anyone heard of these hoods? http://www.newequipment.com/Main/Produc ... 34349.aspx

I'm considering dropping the change to pick one up but I don't want another experience like the one I had with Jackson's Trusight auto lens. (I'm assuming these and those aluminum stick rods are standard issue in the portion of hell reserved for welders)

On a side note if anyone else is shopping around my personal favorites thus far:
-Optrel Satellite: Blue tinted lens which I find great for TIG work especially on aluminum and stainless. All shade controls are located on the outside including grind mode which is pretty damn handy when you consider all the times you have to remove your hood to adjust the shade.

-Jackson Nexgen EQC: All around good product that is EXTREMELY durable. I have one of these now and don't have any complaints.

-Miller Elite: Another great hood. Excellent visual clarity of the puddle and work piece.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

M.Fluxxer.

If you could order a personalized hood ... what capabilities would you add on to make it a 'perfect' hood?

Alexa

Alexa wrote:M.Fluxxer.

If you could order a personalized hood ... what capabilities would you add on to make it a 'perfect' hood?

Alexa
Something that reflects light back to the workpiece like a gold passive lens but is auto darkening.

The ability to change the filter color with the push of a button.
Alexa

M.Fluxxer.
Tanks.
Alexa
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

MotherFluxxer wrote:
Alexa wrote:M.Fluxxer.

If you could order a personalized hood ...
...The ability to change the filter color with the push of a button.
Wouldn't that be great! Image
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Weldor
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 am

I have a tigerhood with the standard viewing size lense and an optel #10 ADF in it. I got that size cause most employers replace the standard plastics... I use it with a speedy loop for attatching to my fiber metal helmet and it works great, super light. Simplicity... Working out in Rocanville potash mine right now...

Just wanted to give a review on this hood....got a hold of a demo from the Fibre Metal rep.

The visual clarity is bar none. I mean that. I have never seen the weld puddle and base metal so clearly. The lens looks like one of those old school "cool blue" filters.

It is however a bit heavier than my jackson. I could live with it to see better though.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, MF,

You compared it to 3M's "cool blue". I assume that means it damps the orange flare in aluminum, and the somewhat yellow/orange in stainless?

That would interest me. I would also accept a little extra weight over my flip- Jackson.

Have you seen pricing?

Steve S

definitely better than 3m's cool blue....same effect but a lot more vivid. It almost seems to dim the arc without sacrificing the light around the base metal. 280 I think is what holtsen gas quoted me. Dont quote me on that as I might be way off. The closest thing I've used to it is Sperian's Optrel Satelite hood.
Alexa

Otto Nobedder.

If Fibre Metal sells just the lense, and if the dimensions are compatible, perhaps you could fit it into your Jackson. It might save some bucks.

Lots of 'ifs'.

Alexa
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Fibre-Metal does sell a "replacement lens", but their website does not have a "find a dealer" tab :x

I guess I'll have to dig locally... I think my nearest welding supplier deals in FM hardhats, at least...

Steve S
KfezUSMC
    Wed May 29, 2013 6:55 am

Motherfluxxer,

You got a # to holtsen gas? I'm in Illinois, and have been unable to find a weld supply store that carries this hood.