General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
smc1118
    Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 am

Anyone know of affordable welding machines that's just as good as the name brands out there and is there a was to save on electric bill looking smaw, gmaw, fcaw, and tig machines thank you all also autodarkning hoods my jackson isn't cutting it no more is a flip open
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

smc1118 wrote:Anyone know of affordable welding machines that's just as good as the name brands out there and is there a was to save on electric bill looking smaw, gmaw, fcaw, and tig machines thank you all also autodarkning hoods my jackson isn't cutting it no more is a flip open
welcome. first look at the older posts cause i think maybe i heard that question once before. then look at the chinese machines like everlast.
smc1118

jwmacawful wrote:
smc1118 wrote:Anyone know of affordable welding machines that's just as good as the name brands out there and is there a was to save on electric bill looking smaw, gmaw, fcaw, and tig machines thank you all also autodarkning hoods my jackson isn't cutting it no more is a flip open
welcome. first look at the older posts cause i think maybe i heard that question once before. then look at the chinese machines like everlast.
Will do thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Everlast has been getting some really good reviews, both for quality and customer service.

Have a look at page two of this topic on our TIG forum:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=5&t=3503

I've not used the machine myself, so can't speak personally, but from the reviews I've seen, were I looking for a machine, I'd do some serious research on the Everlast.

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

You should consider looking at used name brand welders, too. If you get one from a reputable supply place, you'll know it was kept in good working shape. You can get used name brands for 2/3rds to half of the cost of a new one. They might be a little bit banged up on the outside, but a brand new one is going to get that way soon anyways.

4 out of 5 of my welders were bought used and I've never had any problem with them.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
smc1118

What about electric bill anyway cut that down
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

A newer, more efficient machine would certainly use less power than the older ones. There's a way to approximate your costs to run the welder per hour, or any electrical thing for that matter.

Watts=Volts x Amps (W=VA). You'd have to average out the amperage draw just because the welder wouldn't be drawing the same amount during use and rest. Let's say you'd average 30 amps at 220 volts which would be 6600 watts or 6.6 kilowatts. Find out what your electric company charges for a kilowatt hour. Let's say they charge 25 cents per kilowatt hour, so 6.6 x .25=1.65, so it's costing you $1.65 per hour to run the welder.

If you can find out what the average or even peak amperage draw is on any machine, you can get a close approximation what it'll cost to run and go from there.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
smc1118

delraydella wrote:A newer, more efficient machine would certainly use less power than the older ones. There's a way to approximate your costs to run the welder per hour, or any electrical thing for that matter.

Watts=Volts x Amps (W=VA). You'd have to average out the amperage draw just because the welder wouldn't be drawing the same amount during use and rest. Let's say you'd average 30 amps at 220 volts which would be 6600 watts or 6.6 kilowatts. Find out what your electric company charges for a kilowatt hour. Let's say they charge 25 cents per kilowatt hour, so 6.6 x .25=1.65, so it's costing you $1.65 per hour to run the welder.

If you can find out what the average or even peak amperage draw is on any machine, you can get a close approximation what it'll cost to run and go from there.

Other Steve
thanks
smc1118

Hey does anyone know of any websites for welding symbols or blueprint reading