General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Revocide
    Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:05 am

Hi guys

I currently have a BOC 175 multiprocess machine and I am using it for FCAW 0.8mm or 0.030"

When I weld in the lower ranges it seems to "sizzle" as per normal, however when I ramp it up a bit it starts this surge behaviour. The longest weld I would do would be 50mm and 25mm at the least, I make tube frames.

Sizzle setting - 2.3 to 3.0 m/min

Surge setting - 3.0 to 4.0 m/min

MAX setting is 12.0 m/min It only has one dial to fiddle with and button + dial to alter power by +/- 20%

My question - Would the lower amp supply cause this surging?

Revo
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How many amps is your incoming power? Only time I've had an inverter surge is when I was on a real long extension cord or a electrical circuit that may have had slightly under sized wire.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Revo,
You're in OZ right?
Do you know anyone with a dedicated 15 amp power point you could use your machine on? Try it there and see how it goes, if it still does it there it may be the welder is the problem.
The issue imo is you are at the limit of what a 10 amp will carry.
A 15 amp power point uses the same wire as a 10, a bigger earth and is the ONLY thing on that circuit with its own circuit breaker and safety switch.
Another issue may be your location on the power line, wont be an issue in the burbs but if you are rural and at the end of the line so to speak you may not be getting the volts they say you are, that's happened to me at our local gun club, 10 amp to 15amp adapter on 10 amp circuit, welder not playing the game (cig 140 stick), 220V at the power point at the end of the line in the country.
I have since had the club fit a dedicated 15 amp power point but I haven't had to use it yet.
If you are doing a lot of frames in the same location, bite the bullet and have a separate 15 or 20 amp supply fitted.
Another issue maybe the supply lines from the pole to your building, new lines are setup to supply nearly 90 amps at 240V, some of the older stuff ie 30 years and older only took 50 amps as back in those days they were running lights, less than a dozen power point a tv and a electric kettle. Now they have to supply power for twice the lights and power point big plasma tv , aircon and pool pumps etc

Cheers

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....