General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rick
    Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:03 am

Great site jody! I have been welding for a little bit (4 years) learned hands on at a sheet metal shop that i was a electrican at, practiced tig roughly 4 hours a day for about 3 months then , how bout that a welding position opened up. Took the structural welding test (3g D1.1 308S.S.) After i passed the xray, (1st try woo hoo!) became a full time welder and loved it ever since. Learned a little mig welding but not much, also learned from the guys that had been welding for 40+ years (after wading thru the criticizim) but felt like i bacame a decent tig welder. The wife then wanted me to get a higher paying job ( that i turned down before to keep welding) but now i took the job. I got to my current job as a elctro-mechanic for the light rail transit system here, and boy they just let any one weld. I certified on TIG - Alluminum, S.S. and mild steel all structural and non structural. Mig - Spray transfer and non structural sheet metal. Which i know the non structral are in house only.

My point being that after talking to the manager here about anyone welding and the laibility that puts on them he agreed for me to give a welding class. Teaching both Mig and Tig. I could not figure out how to point at what i wanted these guys to see in the puddle and what to watch for, it was getting very frustrating. Then i found this website. I dedicated 2 hours of class time to just watching your videos. (3 classes a week 2 hours per class and 2 people per class) However no one is ready to certify yet , At 2 hours a week its going to take awhile before they are ready. But your videos helped so much on what i was trying to point out, i also learned alot on the mig welding as my experiance with this is limited but has drastically got better. Cant wait to see and learn more!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Congrats Rick

One suggestion put your location in your sig line.

Regards: M J Mauer, Andover, Ohio
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
turbo388
    Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Mike wrote:Congrats Rick

How many times are you going to post that? You lookin' for a date or something? LOL
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

LOL, I'm not looking for a date either, but I also like to know where people are from. Mike, I see your point!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mike wrote:Congrats Rick

This isn't a guy.

It's a computer.

Ignore it, and EVENTUALLY it will go away, unless Jody catched on and removes it.

Steve
Rick

Thanks!
Does anyone know if there are DOT regulations regaurding building trailers? Like atv or just haul trailers.
Salt Lake City, Utah
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

There are no DOT (federal) regulations concerning private use building and pulling of utility trailers. The only time DOT will get involved is when you get into the commercial part of this. There are no structural design regulations, specifications, standards, etc. to follow for the structural design of trailers.
The design of the trailer structural components is totally left to the builder. There are stress analysis (Finite Element Analysis) computer programs available, and they may be of use for assessing localized stress points, but the selection of structural components, e.g., frame rails, cross-members, etc. is your decision. Checking your final selection against what is used by reputable manufacturers is recommended though. There may be state statutes concerning this so you should check the local government for this. :)
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator

To Jim's reply, I would add that state regulations vary but generally include the following:

Hitch rating (at trailer tongue) to match trailer weight and intended use (usually too vague to enforce consistently).
Hitch must generaly have a "locking" latch that can be secured with a lock, lynch pin, or even a nut and bolt or safety wire.

Safety chains (DOT has ratings and specs for these--no worries, even Wal-Mart has 'em). Attach them solidly to the trailer.

Lighting and reflectors. Again, DOT has ratings and specs. Yep, Wal-Mart has 'em, and Autozone and the like. Many kits available. Side marker lights (amber) required at front (and sometimes middle) for trailers above certain lenghts, may vary by state. A suitable, visible, lighted location for the license plate, usually part of the kit (lighting for the plate may be waived for trailers when not used at night).

Braking-- for trailers above certain weights. Some states require "breakaway devices" that activate brakes if the trailer comes loose.

In most, if not all, states, the Highway Patrol has the responsibility for inspecting homemade trailers (and anything homebuilt for the highway), issuing VINs, VIN plates, and certificates of title. Give them a call at the nearest headquarters, and they'll probably be happy to help you out. Any parts you buy that come with documentation, such as springs, axles, brakes, tongue, keep the documents to show the inspector. This will determine the GVWR on your title (which will affect personal property tax, if applicable.)

On a side note, if you don't have a lot of experience designing structures for constant vibration exposure, there are tons of plans, as well as kits, available online and in catalogs such as J.C. Whitney.
Rick

Wow! Thanks that gives me a good direction to go in. Getting parts for the trailers will not be a problem for me, I used to work for Budget rent a car rebuilding and repairing their auto hauling trailers, the carriers have the compressable tounges for when you stop it applies the trailer brakes. Axles , hubs, ect i can get for a decent price, a good friend of mine is still a mechanic for them. Not that i want to build the auto haulers but i think a good basis for what im looking to build.
Salt Lake City, Utah

Rick,

You're welcome. Best of luck, and when you're done, post a picture!

Steve
Rick

i will for sure, however still need to get a welder for home.
Salt Lake City, Utah