General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
MickStephens
    Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 pm

gnuuser wrote:
GreinTime wrote:I think that learning to oxy-fuel weld 3003 definitely helped me TIG Aluminum for sure, but I don't think it was a necessity, more of a confidence booster since it's a long lost art for most anymore.

I will say that if you plan on shaping metal after you're done, there really is no substitute for gas welding in aluminum at least. TIG beads wreck English Wheel dies really quickly if you're not paying attention.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have to agree here while oxy-fuel welding is not necessary
learning to manipulate with one definitely give you an edge when it comes to tigging aluminium
I start all my first timers on a torch and it pays off early
I think it does give them a little confidence when the start to learn the different methods and progress to mig, stick, and tig
Id love to do Oxy/Fuel welding but the course im doing doesnt offer it. I dont have any need to get a Oxy set up just yet either. Unless I can find someone to volunteer to lend me their gear or let me hang around and watch them and practice, I dont think Oxy welding is going to happen.

I did do welding as part of my pre Apprenticeship while at school over 17 years ago, I remember the basics and remember the Oxy/Fuel welding being the first type of weld we were shown also. If I ever get an Oxy set up ill definitely learn and practice it though.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I have many welders, one of my favorites is a bit unusual.
It uses water as a fuel. I use it mostly on mild steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf0VA83suYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaU4M0seOTc
MickStephens wrote:Id love to do Oxy/Fuel welding but the course im doing doesnt offer it. I dont have any need to get a Oxy set up just yet either. Unless I can find someone to volunteer to lend me their gear or let me hang around and watch them and practice, I dont think Oxy welding is going to happen.

I did do welding as part of my pre Apprenticeship while at school over 17 years ago, I remember the basics and remember the Oxy/Fuel welding being the first type of weld we were shown also. If I ever get an Oxy set up ill definitely learn and practice it though.
Last edited by WerkSpace on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I saw those welders a couple years ago but haven't heard much since. What are the pro's and con's for it?

Tom, I live near Calgary.

If you are curious, I could show you what it's all about.
I don't sell them. My friend Garnet bought one up in Didsbury.
I was impressed enough, that I bought one for myself.

One of the Pro's is that there are no compressed gases to deal with.
It uses water as a fuel, so there's not much in the way of fumes.

For anyone living in an apartment, this would be a great stealth welder.
It works on 110 or 220. I made an adapter cable for mine.

It's a very unusual form of welding. I just had to explore it.
I still prefer my Henrob oxy/acetylene welder for cutting,
but the plasma welder works better for welding mild steel.

It's a very portable rig, and fits neatly behind the seat of your car.
Tom Osselton wrote:I saw those welders a couple years ago but haven't heard much since. What are the pro's and con's for it?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Do you need to use distilled water or RO water or is tap water ok to use?
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I use distilled water. Think of it this way... there's mineral wool inside the torch.
Tap water can be used, but eventually the left over deposits would plug up the mineral wool.

When I first got my plasma torch, I just had to tear it apart to find out how it works.
The torch has an adjustable arc between the cathode and the copper nozzle.
The nozzle rests against a copper tube that transfers the heat back to the mineral wool.
The mineral wool holds 3oz of water, or water/alcohol. The water turns to steam.
The steam has no place to go, so it exits thru the arc at the nozzle.
The steam turns to plasma as it exits the torch.
Plasma is the fourth state of matter. (Solid, liquid, gas, plasma=superheated gas.)

This plasma arc reaches 14,400 degrees, while oxy/acetylene reaches 6,000 degrees.
More heat is better right?
Nope, sometimes too much heat will cook the metal that you are trying to weld.
This is were learning to weld with oxy/acetylene first comes in handy.
You learn how to control your heat at the puddle by moving closer or farther away
from your work. With a bit of practice, welding with plasma is a lot of fun.

Poland308 wrote:Do you need to use distilled water or RO water or is tap water ok to use?
Attachments
2 MultiPlaz.JPG
2 MultiPlaz.JPG (35.01 KiB) Viewed 714 times
1 MultiPlaz.JPG
1 MultiPlaz.JPG (28.6 KiB) Viewed 714 times