General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I'm a hopeless collector of STUFF. I like STUFF that not many others have. Stuff like my 1950 Mall 2 man chainsaw. It is cool but looks dangerous. I like all my friends too much to actually get it running and play with it.
One of my other treasures is my 1935 Yates American grinding wheel. I figured it would fit right in with the welding forum theme so here's a couple pix of it. BTW, The wheel alone weighs 780 pounds and is still at full size.
IMG_20160606_090442782.jpg
IMG_20160606_090442782.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Attachments
IMG_20160606_090544098.jpg
IMG_20160606_090544098.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
IMG_20160606_090518675.jpg
IMG_20160606_090518675.jpg (56.15 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Very nice grinding wheel! I would almost want one, but belt sanders rule...

It reminds me of when I bought a 1" X 30" belt sander on sale for $70.
I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, and it turns out to be a most used tool.
I've bought all sorts of different grit belts and even a leather strop belt for it.
I use it a lot for sharpening bits for my hobby lathe/mill combo.
I'm getting ready to do a homemade CNC update on the lathe/mill. (Mach3 software)
I'm using a VFD and 3-phase motor to control my speeds (on a 240vac single phase supply line.)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Sell that to a new Tig welder...they need a wheel that big to sharpen tungsten. :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Sell that to a new Tig welder...they need a wheel that big to sharpen tungsten. :lol:
Hey now, I resemble that!

There are times that I have thought that it'd be faster to just grind the whole tungsten to a nub and save the time involved in chucking it in the torch and dipping it in the puddle... :roll:
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

A buddy of mine collects stuff like that. He has an old grinder and a blower for a forge that were originally designed to hook to an overhead flat belt pulley. He collects hit and miss engines, old air compressors, has an old water punp that moves liquid on the up and down strokes, etc....
He's been on a power chair kick for the last few years though and has probably bought at least thirty of those. He was going to get another one yesterday when i tried to call him.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

RamboBaby wrote:A buddy of mine collects stuff like that. He has an old grinder and a blower for a forge that were originally designed to hook to an overhead flat belt pulley. He collects hit and miss engines, old air compressors, has an old water punp that moves liquid on the up and down strokes, etc....
He's been on a power chair kick for the last few years though and has probably bought at least thirty of those. He was going to get another one yesterday when i tried to call him.
I've been looking for an old hit and miss. Problem is that they seem to be made out of unobtanium.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nice!

My Dad had something virtually the same, although his was fully manual...you just slowly wound the giant wheel up with a crank handle until you got it up to speed, and the sheer weight of the thing meant that you could grind away for ages.

He sold it for a song when he retired from his orchard. :|

Really nice find. Fascinating and useful all at once.

P.S - please post pics of your 2-man chainsaw!

Kym
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Some of those old Malls could be kick started! They were meant to be started with a rope but had a little nub on the flywheel that coyld be kicked with your toe once the engine was warmed up.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

There's two of them for sale in Alberta, Canada for $350.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hand-tool/edmont ... 1166916952
Attachments
Grind Wheels.JPG
Grind Wheels.JPG (67.04 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

hey_allen wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Sell that to a new Tig welder...they need a wheel that big to sharpen tungsten. :lol:
Hey now, I resemble that!

There are times that I have thought that it'd be faster to just grind the whole tungsten to a nub and save the time involved in chucking it in the torch and dipping it in the puddle... :roll:
We have all been there my friend. One day it just happens and the dipping will almost stop as you get your muscle memory working. The best still dip and anyone that tells you otherwise is not being truthful. Tungsten deteriorates as you weld so you still need to grind it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

John Chamorro wrote:
RamboBaby wrote:A buddy of mine collects stuff like that. He has an old grinder and a blower for a forge that were originally designed to hook to an overhead flat belt pulley. He collects hit and miss engines, old air compressors, has an old water punp that moves liquid on the up and down strokes, etc....
I've been looking for an old hit and miss. Problem is that they seem to be made out of unobtanium.
The babbitt bearings usually have some play in them. My buddy is real good at getting that old junk running. His five horse was a sputtering, clunking piece of crap when he bought it but it runs as smooth as silk now. He uses lucas oil stabilizer on the gears with a piece of solder curved over the top to keep the oil from dripping off. Some of the things that he does to get those things running correctly is really kinda neat.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT