General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
smc1118
    Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 am

Hello everyone needing some advic. I rent I want to start welding at home what do. I need to do to make sure my house can handle the welder do I need to contact electrical company what can I do. This will be for practice and hopefully start a side job any advice thank you all...
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

What process do want to do? What is your budget for equipment? If you are going to use a 240 volt transformer based machine with a 250 amp output, you'll likely need/want a 50 amp outlet. The same output from an inverter based welding machine will draw less amperage from the wall and you may be able to plug into a clothes dryer 30 amp outlet. Each process also has different power draw requirements. I have a 240 volt, 220 amp tig machine that I would have no qualms running off a 30 amp dryer plug and a 50 foot extension cord. Same scenerio with my 160 amp stick welder. Both machines are inverters. My transformer machines draw more amperage so I only run them off of 50 amp recepticles. Your landlord might freak out about welding and possible fire risks.
smc1118
    Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 am

Well this is the setup I plan to get millermatic 252 or htp 221 or if anyone has any other suggestions I am on a budget I was planning on get both of them at once save up for one and then the other I would like the tig welder to AC DC weld would like high frequency but if not ok a foot pedal it's what I used when I was in school might I would like for it to weld 1/2 to an 1" thick
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

My inverter tig machine is an HTP 221. I got the 240v model to save almost $500 over the dual voltage model. They have a new inverter mig machine too.