General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
newdesertfox
    Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm

I have a beginner question, I bought a used idealarc 250 thats in almost new condition for a steal price from a prison shop and Im looking to get it running. From what I can see it was hardwired in their setup, and Im looking to get it back to plug in for 220 so I can run it at my place for repairs and fabrication. Its the 60hz version and Im trying to figure out exactly what I need to get it online, as Im heard different things from some people on the electricity requirements on it and this being my first welder I really am not familiar with what it needs. Im hoping I can just get a 220 50 amp plug wire it up and have it running but want to know for sure. So if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it, I'll also include the info plate and what the cord currently looks like.
Thanks for the help
Attachments
Welder's leads from the cord
Welder's leads from the cord
Welder 2.jpg (106.61 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Welder info plate
Welder info plate
Welder.jpg (101.51 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You wire the Black and the White to HOT, abandon Red, and use Green for Ground. The Red is needed for 3-phase power.
light-repairs
    Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 pm

While the above is possibly correct and a very common way to wire that, I would check how the wire is landed inside the welder to confirm the correct wiring on this machine

Mike
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you get an owners manual it should say. I think the miller 280 wanted red and black used for single phase use.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

The machine is capable of 3-phase power, and since it came from an institutional setting it may have been supplied with 3-phase. I'm not sure how the machine is set up or configured for 3-phase vs. 1-phase- possibly with jumpers or bus bars inside the machine?- but it may be worth a look.

Wiring a new plug should be according to code, you can buy the plug to match your receptacle and after a web search attach the red/black/green accordingly.

Based on the code number in your pic, the manual is here:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... /im402.pdf
Cool that you got an AC/DC machine!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I see nothing on the nameplate indicating three phase power. It looks to me like primary amps at 230 Volts is 86. At full output I read it as 30% duty cycle. Table 630.11(A) shows .55 as the multiplier. 86 x .55 = 47.3. A 50 amp plug will work. I would use at least #6 copper, if for no other reason, it will give you good voltage, fit the terminals, and reduce the risk of burning a terminal. A 90 amp breaker would be my choice to start. Up to 160 if needed, but it won't be needed.
cj737

Bill Beauregard wrote:I see nothing on the nameplate indicating three phase power. It looks to me like primary amps at 230 Volts is 86. At full output I read it as 30% duty cycle. Table 630.11(A) shows .55 as the multiplier. 86 x .55 = 47.3. A 50 amp plug will work. I would use at least #6 copper, if for no other reason, it will give you good voltage, fit the terminals, and reduce the risk of burning a terminal. A 90 amp breaker would be my choice to start. Up to 160 if needed, but it won't be needed.
My best mate runs the same machine in his shop still, powered by a 50 amp breaker. No issues. It use to trip a 30 on AC starts when cranked up pretty high.
newdesertfox
    Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm

It's a 1 phase and was attached to 1 phase at the place it was bought, side plate says 1 phase 60hz from what I made out. I think factory they came with a 220 50amp plug but I wasn't sure on the difference between the 50hz and 60hz versions. Thanks for the link on the manual, I'll be sure to check it out
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

You could call Lincoln Tech. Some years back , a friend bought a Idealarc 300, ex USN ( Mare Island ), called the tech line with the serial #, and Lincoln had all details of the original spec / hook up.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Just pop the cover off, there are instructions inside on a label.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Instructions are on the inside of the machine as well as the owners manual which is available on Lincolns webpage, just search the serial number.
They are single phase machines but they can be wired to run on one leg (or two) of a 3 phase power supply.
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Looking at the nameplate, it appears to be a single Ø machine.

It is also DUAL VOLTAGE 208- 460.

While attempting to power the machine from 208 won't hurt anything if the machine is connected 460, it certainly won't power the machine properly.

Forget about wire colors.
Open the machine and check the voltage selection first. Then determine what color wire is connected to which terminal and wire the plug appropriately.
There should be a wiring diagram inside the cover, and you can also get it from lincolnelectric.com with model and code numbers.
snoeproe

All 250 ideal arcs were single phase machines.
Mine is a 230/460/575 v unit.
I have ran another one on 575v power. This was 3 phase power but the welder was running on single phase.
Mine at home runs on 230v.
Franz©

snoeproe wrote:All 250 ideal arcs were single phase machines.
Mine is a 230/460/575 v unit.
I have ran another one on 575v power. This was 3 phase power but the welder was running on single phase.
Mine at home runs on 230v.
As you age you'll learn to NEVER make make absolute blanket statements about Lincoln machines. Well into the 60s Lincoln would build a machine to the customer's specifications.

Lincoln, unlike Hobart Bros and Miller assembled machines with one assembler putting the machine together from components so in the event the machine had problems in testing Lincoln could put the problem back in the hands of the man who built them.

A 3Ø transformer machine yields much smoother DC before capacitors and chokes are added in the path to the electrode.
Lincoln built 3Ø transformer machines.
snoeproe

Um. Ok Franz.
Yes. I agree.
Perhaps you should re read my post cause I’m a bit confused?
I’ve ran many different 3 phase powered transformer welders in my
career, Lincolns included. What’s this blanket statement your rambling about?
My statement was; Lincoln never built a 250 idealarc model machine that was 3 phase powered. All 250 idealarc machines were single phase, only.
As I stated previously, they will run on one leg of a 3 phase power supply (like many other 460-600v single phase powered welders) but they are still a single phase machine. There was discussion talk in this thread about previous wiring the of the OPs 250 idealarc on single phase or 3 phase power. If you know someone who has a 3 phase only powered 250 idealarc, please share with us. Because I’ve never seen or heard of such a machine.

Lincoln manufactures welders in many different countries (13 different I believe) My idealarc 250 was built in Toronto Canada. I don’t think the same guy who put mine together built the same units that were assembled in Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Franz©

I'll stand by my statement.
You are incorrect in your proffer "My statement was; Lincoln never built a 250 idealarc model machine that was 3 phase powered."

Lincoln would and may still produce machines to customer order specifications.

A 3Ø transformer and rectifier produces current far closer to DC than a single phase machine ever can, and was an early Lincoln entry when the world of Heliarc came along in the 60s. The arc was almost indistinguishable from a rotary machine, especially when running Everdure with single carbon arc.

Contrary to popular opinion in 2018, Lincoln Electric did produce vertical rotarys, profanely referred to as R2D2, in single phase as special order machines. It was actually quite simple to accomplish by adding a start winding to the stator. There was plenty of room in the base for the start capacitor as well. I have been hands on with 2 of those machines in the fleet owned by EG Snyder Mechanical.

Also I'll stand with every machine produced by one man. Jim Lincoln devoted several pages to that reality along with the income a welder builder took home back in the 60s when the Stabilizer was printed on paper and arrived quarterly. Jim Lincoln was quite proud of the company he built. He also tried to teach the world weldOr is an adjectival noun describing a man or woman who operates a welding machine, and that the future of fabrication of sheet material was learning to precision bend rather than weld to deliver product at lower cost.

Then again, what do I know? I only own 5 Lincoln verticals and 1 SA 200 in my personal inventory. The oldest vertical is a 1937 build with square corners on the base box.
cj737

Franz© wrote:I'll stand by my statement.
You are incorrect in your proffer "My statement was; Lincoln never built a 250 idealarc model machine that was 3 phase powered."
And you have evidence of an IdealArc 250 that was built as a 3-phase machine?

From Lincoln’s own manual for the IdealArc 250

“GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Idealarc® 250 is a single phase constant current arc welding power source available in an AC/DC model only. Designed for stick welding, it may also be used for TIG welding when used with the K799 Hi- Freq unit.”

But then again, what do they know. They only build them :?
Franz©

1- be aware I do not read silly ass childish cartoon characters.

2- feel free to rephrase your remark employing words
cj737

Franz© wrote: 2- feel free to rephrase your remark employing words
I would, except I fear it would send you to a dictionary to understand them. And that would be impolite of me to force you to spend all that time away from the mirror admiring yourself. Heavy is the crown...
A36
  • A36
    Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 pm

The plate and manual indicate it is a single phase machine. What’s confusing is that there are 3 leads not counting ground. Not sure why there would be a neutral (white) lead. The manual only shows the 2 hot leads and ground. Check the wiring diagram inside to see what voltage it was wired for and if possible, check with the place you bought if from to verify how they had it wired. 50A service will work but will not be adequate for higher machine settings. 70 or 90 amp would be better. You also need to determine if the machine has the optional capacitors installed. Their presence seems to change the current requirements. Lastly, it doesn’t matter if your power service is from a single or 3 phase system. Single phase will give you 230V, 3 phase will give you 208V as only 2 of the 3 phases is used for residences.
Franz©

cj737 wrote:
Franz© wrote: 2- feel free to rephrase your remark employing words
I would, except I fear it would send you to a dictionary to understand them. And that would be impolite of me to force you to spend all that time away from the mirror admiring yourself. Heavy is the crown...
I'll explain it to you the way it was explained to me more than 70 years ago.

When you wish to converse with adults use adult words and language.

Now take your crayolas and go play with the children.

чем больше вы знаете, тем более болезненная жизнь
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

A36 wrote:Not sure why there would be a neutral (white) lead.
I can only speculate that there is something in the welder that requires 110v, so the neutral would allow that. For example, 110v cooling fans are much cheaper than 220v cooling fans. On modern electric ovens there is a neutral to provide 110v to power the light bulb in the oven, and is probably the source to produce the low voltage for the electronics.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
cj737

Franz© wrote: When you wish to converse with adults use adult words and language.
I do, when they're about. I'd explain that to you, but regrettably I can not understand it for you. (Oh gee, I should be impressed because he types in Cyrillic! Oooohh! GFY, dolt.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I claim no level of familiarity with Idealarc. In 50 years as an electrician, I've never seen a welder using 208 or more volts needing a neutral. All I've ever seen, even those with 115 volt receptacles for grinders need 230 volt power only. Most equipped with convenience outlets do that in the transformer.

Those I've seen need 230 volt, with green equipment ground.

The cord on an old welder doesn't mean much. Open it up, read what Bob Lincoln, Lincoln's only assembler says.