General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
davidtown
    Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:08 pm

Good evening. I'm building a house (my own house) and it has a detached garage with an ADU above the garage. Plans call for a wide flange beam to span the width of the garage to support the flooring for the ADU.

The beam is a W12x35 and I already purchased it. On the construction plans it calls for 1/4" stiffener plate to be welded on the end of the beam. It also shows a 3/16" fillet weld on the beam.

My question is: do I weld on web only or web and flange or just flange? The arrow is pointing to the web. Also, should I use dual shield or solid core wire?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Dave
Attachments
IMG_20200928_214634.jpg
IMG_20200928_214634.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 785 times
davidtown

I misspoke...I believe the plans call for the stiffener plate to be inside the flange not on the end.

Dave
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Sounds to me like you need 8 pieces in order to help stiffen the beam. Weld the entire c channel then repeat on the other side and you have four of them down the length of the beam. Divide the beam length by 5 and mark off four divisions.

May I ask wtth is an ADU?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks to me like it goes inside the beam, and gets a 3/16 fillet all the way on all 3 edges. IE web and both flanges. The left side of the print calls out 4 pieces on each end. So that’s about the only way it would work out. I would personally just 7018 it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

However you end up welding it, it will probably be strong enough. But will it pass inspection when you or your loved ones go to sell the house many years down the road? Recommend you contact a licensed/certified/qualified construction PM or engineer for your local area to answer your question.
davidtown

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The 4x web filler is 4x12 lumber that is "stuffed" inside the beam so the floor joists and hangers can be attached.

Dave
davidtown

An ADU is accessory dwelling unit.... snobby term for apartment.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Around here, you hear the word FROG.

Finished Room Over Garage
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

right here at the farm, we have SODH......significant others dog house.