General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
housegsx
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Ok, I'm very new to welding. I pick up a Lincoln Mig 140 from a friend recently. I got it for a decent price and it has only been used twice by him.

About 2 months ago when I picked it up I started practicing like crazy for about 4 or 5 days. Then I ran out of gas. I haven't welded since because it is such a pain in the ass to get welding supplies. Nobody is open on weekends and everywhere closes at 4pm on weekdays. I took a day off work about a month ago and went up to Valley national Gas. I picked up some brushes, another pair of gloves, and some SS wire. I wanted to get my bottle filled and also pick up an additional bottle and fill it with a tri-mix to have for SS.

Well, they did not have any full tanks ready and did not seem willing to fill up anything for me. Seems like unless your a business getting several tanks then you aren't worth any of these places time. A couple places told me I'd have to drop off a tank and maybe they'd get to it in a few days to a week... :roll: Why can't they just fill me up? Is it this difficult for everyone else to get supplies, mainly gas?
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

For supplies other than gas and electrodes, I use a web site that way I don't have to worry about whether or not they have it in stock or not...

http://www.toughweld.com/
War Eagle!
cognitdiss
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Look for small places, they are usually way cooler than the chains.

That said, if you commit to a schedule, like say a bottle every couple of months, they will have it for you. I have a small bottle of tri-mix too, I would never expect to roll up and roll out w/ another one w/ no notice. Just gotta think ahead some times....
mwallace61
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm

You got a tractor supply in the area? They have gas in tradeable bottles.
OldSneelock
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Look online or in the phone book for a local company. Check them out by asking around. When you find a good one, stay with them and build a relationship. You'll be able to ask questions and get real answers from someone who knows what their doing, and knows what you're doing also.

Tractor Supply has tanks but they really don't have a clue.
genarr3
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 am

Try some other places. I've experienced what you're talking about, but they aren't all like that.
michiganwelder
    Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Welding supply shops can really give you a line of BS if you're not a regular customer. They really don't like doing things for hobby shop guys, and it sucks, because it shows what their true business practices are. I would avoid them, and continue looking for a great place that doesn't give you the run around.
mwallace61
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm

If gas is all you need, then it doesn't matter what clue they have or don't have.
OldSneelock wrote:Tractor Supply has tanks but they really don't have a clue.
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

what works for me is letting other small purchasers such as yourself, know how you are treated. eventually the word will get back to the store. don't get nasty, just speak the truth. now hahn welding and air-gas can't wait to see me and we bullshit for hours sometimes.good luck
joseph.mowery
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

I was looking to buy a bottle of C-25 and checked Tractor Supply. Was quoted close to $300 to buy the 80 cu ft tank and a fill of gas. Called the local Airgas shop and was quoted $135 to buy the tank and the fill was $38.15. Arcet wanted $211 for the same. So, Airgas is getting my business. While I was there, checked on the price of a TIG that I have been looking on the "Net" at. Miller Diversion 180 and his price was just as cheap as the net. He will be getting my duckets from now on. :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Don't buy a bottle.

If it's yours, you are responsible for recertifying it regularly.

If it's "leased" from a supplier, the gas is cheaper, you never have to worry about certifications, and you're not waiting for a fill. Just bring in your empty, and they'll hand you a full one.

Steve
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Don't buy a bottle.

If it's yours, you are responsible for recertifying it regularly.

If it's "leased" from a supplier, the gas is cheaper, you never have to worry about certifications, and you're not waiting for a fill. Just bring in your empty, and they'll hand you a full one.

Steve
It all depends on your area. I'm in SoCal and own all my cylinders. No waiting for a refill here. Just bring in the empty and exchange it for a full one. I just make sure the re cert date isn't going to be due while in my possession, but they never check the date when exchanging cylinders for me any way.
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's kind of my point.

If you "own" the bottle, the physical object itself, where is it now? If they just hand you another one, you own the recertification cost, with the promise your bottle will never be out of date. Thank you for mentioning checking that date stamp; some hobbyists may be unaware of that.

For the uninitiated, here's a short primer on the date stamp:

The date stamp will be "MM/YY+" or "MM/YY+*",on the upper "bell" of the bottle. The "plus" and "five point star" will be the same size as the numbers, 1/4" in every case I've seen. The "plus" alone means the bottle is certified for five years from the MM/YY. "Plus-Star" means ten years from the stamped date. Old bottles will have multiple date stamps. There should be another symbol in the date stamp; It is the stamp assigned to the specific shop certifying the bottle. It's worth a look, if you use the same bottle for a long time.
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

i pay $34 to fill up a large bottle, 275cf? :)
dgarnier
    Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Looking to get a get/lease a bottle myself in the 125 - 180cf range. What the going rate now a days for tanks and leases, as will as a refill with argon?
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Little side story-We had a bottle of O2 on the job with an original cert date of 04-33, and two of the dates from the 40's actually had swastikas next to them. Apparently a German bottle, older than shit. Still works :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i am amazed at the difference in $$$ of same 4 same items at some of the welding supply stores. pays to shop. don't make any rash purchases. research-research-research. good luck with your tig. good old tig. a old wise man told me its like riding a unicycle without the wheel