Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
The Shark
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi everyone. I am a 14 year veteran of the Army and army National guard. In 2011 I was a casualty of the force reduction that has plagued our military over the past few years. I have successfully rebounded. I am in the Army National Guard now and I have a good paying job as a defense contractor with a good boss and co-workers. It is a desk job. I stare at a computer all day. It is nothing to brag about. I never grew up as a kid saying one day I want to sit behind a desk and have a 20 min commute to work everyday. I used to be and Army Cavalry Scout, got to handle explosives and shoot all sorts of weapons. It was awesome. Then I became a warrant officer and was learning to fly apaches before I got the boot. That stuff was awesome. It made me feel like a man. I was kicking ass. I want to get into a profession that I can be proud of my work again. Be outdoors. When my guard unit was gtting renovated there were electricans, plumbers, hvac, and welders working on the building. All cool guys. I related to them. But the welding trade really stood out. I like the idea of being a road warrior. Working on and oil rig. I have spent the last year trying to find someone to teach me to weld. I now have a guy who can teach me stick and MIG. I have a lot of questions though.

What kind of welding certifications are out there and where do you go to get certified? Who certifies?

What unions do you have? which are the best?

What are the best welding jobs to get as a beginner?

Where do I go to make the most money?

There are probably questions I should be asking that I dont know to ask.

Hats off to you guys. I am very envious
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

shark
first off, thanks for serving.
i myself do not weld a a profession
but there are some really smart and gifted
welders here that do.
I'm sure some good suggestion will soon
follow.
welcome the the forum
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, "The Shark",

Being a "casualty" has a specific meaning.

Please explain to me what being a "casualty of the force reduction" means to you, and just what it should mean to me.

I'm not sure we're going to agree on our definitions.

Frankly, it sounds like you were "laid off."

Steve S
The Shark

Sure laid off. Served a pink slip. But being reduced in force is a "loss" which by definition is a casualty.. was I hurt, no.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate. Here are a couple of programs. Workshops for warriors and veterans in piping. I think there is another one to do with "from bullets to something.? But I can't find it.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
And thanks for your service.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
The Shark

Thanks everyone. Are there any boilermakers here?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think there are a few boilermakers here, though not among the more active members.

I've done boilermaker work on various shutdowns, but I won't call myself a boilerbaker.
The Shark wrote:Sure laid off. Served a pink slip. But being reduced in force is a "loss" which by definition is a casualty.. was I hurt, no.
Fair enough. I'm always careful about watering down the meaning of words. Modern use of "love" and "hate" are good examples, being used commonly where "like" and "dislike" are more appropriate. However, you are correct (if circuitous), in your definition.

I apologize for sounding abrasive in my response.

Steve S
colli2pl
    Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 am

Howdy, and thanks for your service from a fellow vet.

For welding jobs, especially if pursuing the big paychecks, you'll need to get some time under a hood and develop your skills. If you have GI Bill money to use up, I'd look at community colleges for welding tech programs. Or maybe the hobart welding institute (www.welding.org) , something like that. If you're academically inclined, maybe look at universities with welding engineering programs (Ferris State Univ in Michigan, for example). A formal education in welding and metal theory from any of these sort of schools will help you develop beyond practical skills needed.

As for the practical skills, the community college and schools like Hobart will have you under the hood much more than a University. If you are feeling drawn to the heat, smoke and sweat, nothing can substitute for hands-on practice. If you're still near a Guard/Reserve armory, maybe see if one of the shop chiefs would let their maint soldiers/welders give you a down and dirty tutorial?

Once you have the basics, look for basic jobs to build skills while on the clock. It can suck working in heavy industry, but it's a lot of arc time with the materials all paid.

And keep watching weldingtipsandtricks videos, they are about the best I've seen. Close-up shots of electrode/filler movements and puddle motion aren't easy to come by!
The Shark

Everyone I appreciate your input. Unfortunately the 3 community colleges near me only have day classes and that conflicts with my current job. I have met a guy who is going to start teaching me stick and mig. He is going to teach me how to run beads(no idea what that means someone please exlpain) at his shop where he repairs farm equipment. He has inhouse training certifications from a steel plant in Birmingham, Al. I am not sure if he knows how to weld pipe he doesnt TIG weld but I figure stick in MIG will be good to learn starting off. Curious though, if I spend a couple of years in his shop do you think I could pass the basic AWS certifications? Also what qualifications do you have to have to join the ironworkers union?
The Shark

Otto,

Do you or anyone hear no someone who welds on oil rigs out in the gulf? When you did your boilermaker work how did you like it/what didnt you like.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

@colli2pl running beads simply means using a welding machine (whatever process you choose) to run lines of weld on a single piece of metal, without attempting to join anything together. It's the first step in learning to weld.
The Shark

Thanks Mike.
Between MIG TIG and Stick which pays the most. Also What materials pay the most?

Thank you
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Shark! Thank you for your service! I have been an ironworker for over 30 years (off and on). Contact your local union for information on how to get involved. Also, check into your local pipefitters union. You will love being in either one!

Contact me directly if you want advice on what to say during interviews, etc. I have always like working outside. Currently, I am teaching welding at a community college. I hope to spend some of my vacation time working in the field, but I will have to see how that goes.

Gary S