Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
yfzjoe
    Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm

I've been lurking for a few months and finally joined. Awesome forum, cool dudes.
I don't have a welder or much experience yet. I borrowed a Co workers hf 90 amp flux and I'm building a work table now. I really want to get a tig but I know everyone says mig is easier to learn. Tig looks like it would be easier for me though.
I don't know what to do, buy a tig or mig or maybe the lincoln 210mp with tig setup. I would rather have a fully loaded machine so I don't have to upgrade soon. I'm planning on building my kids some motorized drift trikes with 1-1/4" .120 DOM and just making little stuff, just basically looking for a hobby and a way to fix stuff. Maybe one day when I'm good at it building my own motorcycle from ground up.
I have been watching the classifieds around here and there isn't crap for decent prices some is more than buying new.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and it's great to be a member of this forum. Jody is my new hero lol.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Joe, as nice as the Multifunction machines seem at first, it is normally better to just save up a bit more and get separate machines, especially if plasma cutting is involved. If it is just mig, TIG, stick then you don't have to worry about contamination from the compressed air getting into the torch line for argon while mig or TIG welding.

If you have a multipurpose machine break, you are out 3 machines as opposed to just one. You can normally make do with a different process while waiting to get your other machine fixed, but if you are not making a living welding then this isn't AS big of a deal, just a minor inconvenience that may take a few days or weeks to get resolved.

Edit: Welcome to the forum as well!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Joe, Grein is right...the thing I have found most useful in my life is patience...and for me it didn't come easy. I buy from Craigslist alot but I have found that if I am patient and wait, I usually get a good deal on what I am looking for. Like Grein said, don't get a multi-process cause your out of the game if it breaks. And as much as I hate buying new and paying retail, the warranties on big-ticket items are soothing if something goes wrong. If you are looking for a tubing roller or bender on the cheap, check out Harbor Freight. I bought theri tubing roller BUT I also bought the SWAG OFFROAD upgrades to go with it before I used it. Most of HFs stuff is junk but you can get away with some of their stuff...but don't buy their welders!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Joe.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome, Joe!
yfzjoe

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome. I'm going to get separate units.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Joe,
Welcome to the forum. I am in the process of building 3 drift trikes. Eventually I will have the progress shots here on the forum to follow along with.

I am not disagreeing with everyone on not buying a multi-process machine but if cash is strapped and you don't see yourself putting a lot of miles on machine, that's when the 3-in-1 machines really shine. Or if you were doing portable work and didn't want to lug several machines around. They are correct about being out of luck if the 3-in-1 breaks though. Decisions, decisions.
-Jonathan
yfzjoe

Thanks Jonathan and I look forward to seeing your drift trikes.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Joe,
I would like to get some of these projects out of my garage so I can get back to the trikes. :lol: I will be getting tubing bent on Monday so that will be progress.
-Jonathan
yfzjoe

Nice, I'm building me a hybrid jd2 bender now, the die should be here any day. Only problem I'm having is figuring out how to build a hydraulic power unit, I'm not sure where the pump mounts on it. It's the kind that has the reservoir mounted on motor, like the ones used for car lifts.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome to the forum, Joe. I have the 210MP and love it. Of course it won't do AC tig, but is a very nice, easy to use machine.

Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
yfzjoe

Thanks x, do you have the tig setup on it then? How does it do as a mig? I looked at that welder and almost bought it at the local store. Is hf start that big of a deal where I should get it if it's just a dc tig?
Thanks
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Uhhhh it depends on what you're doing I guess man. I've never tried it any other way, but it definitely makes life easier. You don't contaminate the tungsten on every start, and you can typically start at lower amps, which is a definite plus on thin stock.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

I don't have the tig option on mine so I can't comment on that. It's a nice mig unit though and the little stick welding I've done with it (7018) worked fine too.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
yfzjoe

Cool thanks guys