Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
fatboy5006
    Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:23 pm
    Atlanta Georgia more specifically Kennesaw

Decided to join since I will be starting classes at GA trade school for welding Jan '17. I can't wait to see what this new venture holds for me. I have family members that made welding their profession so I hope I can get my skills to at least their levels here in the near future. I feel a little behind though, I'm almost 30 and just getting started but, I do have a degree in industrial management, and it only took me 5 years to realize the typical 9 to 5 management type work wasn't what I wanted. I'm looking forward to using this resource and develop some good contacts in the process.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome to the boards.

30 is not too late to make a change...no time is too late to make a change. As the old saying goes, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

Kym
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Gonna head to the ship yards when you get out?
GA Trade School turned me down because I'm too much of a libertarian for their conservative values. So I took the $$$ that I was gonna spend on the school and put it into welding equipment. Looks lime they have a really good program there.
Make sure that you focus your efforts on pipe welding. That's what they like to do there anyway. A buddy of mine recently introduced me to a friend of his who is a pipe weldor. That guy told me that he is not willing to strap on a hood for anything less than $32/hr. Not a bad way to go.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
fatboy5006

I'm not sure where I'll end up after, I've had 2 friends go through the school with nothing but good things to say. I have a cousin that is welding for an oil company right now so I am thinking either something like that or trying to stay here in Atlanta.

I guess my libertarian self slipped through haha so we'll see how it goes.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Fatboy, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

When I looked at the companies they partner with, Huntington Ingalls seemed to pay the best. $19/hr fresh outta school with 15 - 20 hours of overtime a week. Most of the stuff around Atlanta paid about $15/hr.
The thing that impressed me the most about them is that they could set you up with a really good paying job directly after graduation.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
fatboy5006

That's one of the parts I liked the most about them over some of the smaller tech colleges around here, the partnerships and potential networking they could provide me, but I'm kinda in a weird spot where the job I currently have that isn't in welding is paying me around 22/hr so I'm a little hesitant about once I get out of school for immediate earning potential with so little experience, I'm not really worried about long term, just worried about that transition