Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:13 pm

New to the forum but an avid viewer of WT&T.

A little about myself. Everybody either calls me The Brawny Man or Big Ben. Fairly "new" to welding but it's been in my family ever since it's been discovered. I've had many jobs ranging from logging to customer service.

I started college last year takin basic courses and decided to try my hand at welding. Fell in love with it...it's in my blood now. Goin for my Associates in Welding emphasizing in Engineering. My instructor is encouraging me to pursue the inspector route.

Main goal: start at the bottom, get as much experience as I can, and make a decent living in the field.

I've got a solid year of experience in SMAW, vertical, horizontal, flat, and overhead utilizing 7018s, 6010s, 6011s, and good ole 6013s. Done some practice bends on 1" steel plates V-Butt w/backing strip. Done pretty decent with a few inclusions (gotta keeps those corners tight).

I love to stick weld...I've ran a few beads with MIG and it's a breeze. Tig on the other hand...shew boy. Now that's some skill that's gotta take a skilled hand. Not there yet haha.

I work about 60hrs a week and go to school full time too. It's hard but hopefully it pays off.

Lookin forward to learning from you all and maybe sharing some info of what I learn as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

the_brawnyman,
First welcome to the forum. Second your TIG skills will develop over time and one day you will wonder why you ever thought it was so hard!
    Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Thank you gentlemen. Any advice you all can share will be greatly appreciated.

Tig was fun from the little time I spent on it and I look forward to learning more about it. Definitely a different world than stick.

I've got an old Montgomery ward buzz box I play around with at the house. Ancient but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Brawny Man.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
IA93
    Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 am

I am new to the forum myself and I will be picking up a welder again next weekend for the first time in 20+ years. Should have never stopped. Good to see another newbie.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Watch Jodys videos over and over and just TIG weld....after you do everything wrong and grind 5 miles of tungstens one day it just click and you won't go to your welding table with any apprehension. It will become second nature like every other process unless you strive for the perfect weld every pass...then you will drive yourself nuts :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.