Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I'm still new to welding and steel work. I am about to inherit a very large steel cart (15' long x 3' wide x 4 feet tall) and I need to chop it into manageable pieces to transport. I see expensive brands of cutting discs and the cheap-o ones at Harbor Freight (10 for $8.99). This thing is made out of 2" square tubing that is at least 1/8th inch thick. If I'm going to burn through a bunch of discs, should I just get the cheaper ones and get more of them? Or is there something special about the nicer ones that I'm missing? I can burn through a lot of $.75/pc discs and not worry about the price. Unless one of the nicer ones will last significantly longer.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I use Metabo Slicer discs in 0.040 and they last pretty well. They cut very quickly. Sometimes, cheap is not worth the hassle. Cutting discs are dangerous, so I’d rather a better disc that cuts cleanly, quickly, and lasts a bit longer to avoid handling blade changes. Also leaves a better cut to deal with later.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Longevitiy, cleaner cuts, and a lower chance of random exploding. I'be only had cheap discs explode on me amd that alone is enough to make it worth buying better fiber reinforced discs.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Good discs last twice as long and you don't get sand blasted using them the discs mentioned are great for 2 inch box tube I would consider using a sawzall thin cuts and may be easier to deal with

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

+1 on the sawzall - with a decent blade it's fast / cleaner & when the tubing grabs it's less likely to cause problems ! any frame welded up out of tubing seems to grab badly when cutting & even good quality slicer discs can explode due to this - if it were me doing this I'd take a small plasma cutter.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

If you have access to a gas powered quick cut with a metal blade it will eat that stuff for lunch! :lol:
theaceofgates
    Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

I buy most of the abrasives used in the shop from Benchmark Abrasives. Their stuff is inexpensive and holds up fairly well.
TheAceofGates.com
FB_TheAceofGates
...professional tip clogging, rod sticking tungsten dipper.