A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Oscar wrote:
Simclardy wrote: I know oscar had a 211 board fry, but i have to say my mm215 was a champ on the steel beam project. After welding the flanges I ran 14+ rods with 5/32 7018 @ 180-170 amps non stop on the splice plate.
The machine was in direct sunlight, but outside with plenty of space to breath. Temps around 70°f

I wish the miller hit that 220-230 amp setting. I sometimes pulse at 220 on ss.

I would love love love to scope those 3 machines.
Cheers
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I ran mine full-output on the 3/8" C25 synergic setting well past the duty cycle, last June when it was already over 100°F on a daily basis, so yea that was mostly just me being careless. 180A is a full 50A less and a lot less stress on the machine especially on a 70°F day. So I guess those additional lower-temp duty cycle ratings on the HTP machines do make some sense after all, eh? ;)

Also note, that the Miller Dynasty 210dx duty cycle spec does not specify a temperature in the owner's manuals that I've seen. It only lists a temperature operating "range", but nothing specific to the actual duty cycle spec number. It could very well be that the listed duty cycle (60% @ 210A) is at a temperature much lower than 104°F.
I would expect the duty cycle published to apply to the complete temperature operating range. Your right, it is not explicit. I will call miller on this. I will feel some kind of way if this is not true. As an electrician i deal with electrical specs on the regular and i consider it fraudulent to play with standard test parameters. I could not find a definitive test standard for arc welding equipment. NEMA states it must be tested between 50-104°f.
Does that mean test through the complete temperature rise? or pick a number between?

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Simclardy wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Simclardy wrote: I know oscar had a 211 board fry, but i have to say my mm215 was a champ on the steel beam project. After welding the flanges I ran 14+ rods with 5/32 7018 @ 180-170 amps non stop on the splice plate.
The machine was in direct sunlight, but outside with plenty of space to breath. Temps around 70°f

I wish the miller hit that 220-230 amp setting. I sometimes pulse at 220 on ss.

I would love love love to scope those 3 machines.
Cheers
I ran mine full-output on the 3/8" C25 synergic setting well past the duty cycle, last June when it was already over 100°F on a daily basis, so yea that was mostly just me being careless. 180A is a full 50A less and a lot less stress on the machine especially on a 70°F day. So I guess those additional lower-temp duty cycle ratings on the HTP machines do make some sense after all, eh? ;)

Also note, that the Miller Dynasty 210dx duty cycle spec does not specify a temperature in the owner's manuals that I've seen. It only lists a temperature operating "range", but nothing specific to the actual duty cycle spec number. It could very well be that the listed duty cycle (60% @ 210A) is at a temperature much lower than 104°F.
I would expect the duty cycle published to apply to the complete temperature operating range. Your right, it is not explicit. I will call miller on this. I will feel some kind of way if this is not true. As an electrician i deal with electrical specs on the regular and i consider it fraudulent to play with standard test parameters. I could not find a definitive test standard for arc welding equipment. NEMA states it must be tested between 50-104°f.
Does that mean test through the complete temperature rise? or pick a number between?

Let's see what they tell you. Better yet, send them an email to have conclusive documentation/evidence you can post up as a screenshot.
sportster
    Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

FWIW.... the Dynasty 210 owner's manual states in Section 4-2 (and I'll quote the first line):

This equipment will deliver rated output at an ambient air temperature up to 104 F (40 C)
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

The confusing part to me is this. He started out asking about a 280DX and the thread has devolved 70 amps or so into the 200Amp class machines. If you want a 200 amp machine then just decide whether low amp control for thin material is necessary and then pick from any choice of machine available today.

I thought the budget was $5,000 and there is a huge difference between a guy who has $5,000 for a welder and a guy who wants a 200 amp machine. I just do not see those machines in the same league. A Dynasty 280DX is a pro level industrial machine. The kind of thing someone only buys having clear understanding of their end goals. Same with that new HTP GTAW coming out that has 300-400 amps. That's not the kind of machine you buy unless you understand what you want.

Might be missing something here. Whatever you buy just make sure you buy enough amps to make the best use of your situation. And if you spend $5,000, then customer support would be welcome also. Not sure there are any bad $5,000 welding machines. I know that there are 200 amp machines that have better low amp control than others. But in the $5,000 range I can't think of one machine that can't weld thin stuff.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful

sportster wrote:FWIW.... the Dynasty 210 owner's manual states in Section 4-2 (and I'll quote the first line):

This equipment will deliver rated output at an ambient air temperature up to 104 F (40 C)
Thanks for that info. I did a Ctrl + F and searched the document for "duty cycle", so I therefore missed that line entirely. Good catch.
Simclardy

Radishfever wrote:The confusing part to me is this. He started out asking about a 280DX and the thread has devolved 70 amps or so into the 200Amp class machines. If you want a 200 amp machine then just decide whether low amp control for thin material is necessary and then pick from any choice of machine available today.

I thought the budget was $5,000 and there is a huge difference between a guy who has $5,000 for a welder and a guy who wants a 200 amp machine. I just do not see those machines in the same league. A Dynasty 280DX is a pro level industrial machine. The kind of thing someone only buys having clear understanding of their end goals. Same with that new HTP GTAW coming out that has 300-400 amps. That's not the kind of machine you buy unless you understand what you want.

Might be missing something here. Whatever you buy just make sure you buy enough amps to make the best use of your situation. And if you spend $5,000, then customer support would be welcome also. Not sure there are any bad $5,000 welding machines. I know that there are 200 amp machines that have better low amp control than others. But in the $5,000 range I can't think of one machine that can't weld thin stuff.
I don't quite see the 2 machines in totally different camps (210&280).
At 60% duty cycle the 210 does 210. The 280 does 235! This was something i learned after i started this query.
As i mentioned earlier 220 is about the most i have ever wanted. 210 is acceptable not ideal. But i am not willing to drop 6k+ for this.
I just did an ebay search for sold 280's and i saw a beauty with 70hr and wireless pedal sell for 4800. I think i will watch for a deal. There is no rush as my everlast 250 is very capable. I am sure eather machine would serve me well.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Don't see the logic.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
Simclardy

K

HTP Invertig 400 FTW! That's what I'm gonna get, maybe! lol :D
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Oscar wrote:HTP Invertig 400 FTW! That's what I'm gonna get, maybe! lol :D
No way!! Not a HTP Oscar!?!?!! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar, you should be the southwest distributor :lol:

I'm betting it'll be a hell of a machine.
Richard
Website

Nah, my day job kills me, no way I could venture out. At least not before retirement, which is still a loooong ways off.

Heck yea!

xnOLHUaR65w

Getting some quotes on a phase converter. ;)

Invertig 400 that max's out at 350?
Richard
Website

It's 350A on 1-Φ power, and the full 400A on 3-Φ power.

Got it, will there be one under your Christmas tree this year? :lol:
Richard
Website

I'm already on the East coast looking for the boat to hit the shore... :lol:

I spotted the boat! Looks like it's hitting the shores before Christmas! :D

Screenshot_20191029-195055_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20191029-195055_Instagram.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Screenshot_20191029-195100_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20191029-195100_Instagram.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Screenshot_20191029-195104_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20191029-195104_Instagram.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Richard
Website

I think they made a boo-boo on the AC freq range, lol. I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be 400Hz.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Oscar wrote:HTP Invertig 400 FTW! That's what I'm gonna get, maybe! lol :D
Hello Oscar,,,,did ya get the 400 ??? or should I ask, How does the 400 drive ??

I'll have one eventually, but it's not even available yet. But as you can see, they did release pricing. Should be nothing less than awesome.
Simclardy

I read it a few times and came to the same conclusion. Maybe 40khz but not 40hz

It ain't gonna do 40 kilohertz either, lol. It's 400Hz. It's on their facebook page. Officially released for pre-order! Sorry family, no Christmas gifts for you this year! lol
Simclardy

I just pulled the trigger on a new open box dynasty 210dx for $2400.
At this price i can easily sell it and upgrade to the 280dx if needed. I can't wait to put it on the oscilloscope!