Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

1110141149a.jpg
1110141149a.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
:shock:

I'm in in in my 3rd month of a 2 year combo welding program at the ComCol. Been through flat, horz, vert, but this overhead fillet welding is killing me. (Yeah yeah I hear you guys laughing)

Just something about the whole drag-feed upside-down I guess. I found out I was running way too hot, 3/32 at 95A. I figured I needed more arc-force to "blow" it into the metal. But I was wrong, 80A seems to work better. Next semester we move onto structural certs, so I hope I get the hang of this before Christmas.

Instructor said, hmm looks like oatmeal...keep trying
Check out my journey through welding school https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWQmJ ... aTma2q31Qg
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Look no further then this video.

Was a big help for me when I was learning too. ;)

Watch this video, then report back. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJW2SDSxL2M
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Ok, I'm going to watch it now... Thanks
Check out my journey through welding school https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWQmJ ... aTma2q31Qg
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

I read this thread yesterday, and thought to my self, I can't remember the last time I did some direct over head welding. So I went out to the shop this morning to try my luck with some 7018, and 6010

I think the last time I did a pad weld was back in welding school. Just don't have a lot of use for this on the job site. :lol:

Some 5/32” 6010 over head.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

prebres wrote:
I'm in in in my 3rd month of a 2 year combo welding program at the ComCol. Been through flat, horz, vert, but this overhead fillet welding is killing me. (Yeah yeah I hear you guys laughing)

Just something about the whole drag-feed upside-down I guess. I found out I was running way too hot, 3/32 at 95A. I figured I needed more arc-force to "blow" it into the metal. But I was wrong, 80A seems to work better. Next semester we move onto structural certs, so I hope I get the hang of this before Christmas.

Instructor said, hmm looks like oatmeal...keep trying
Remember to keep pushing up, push up so that the flux lightly touches the metal and keep it there.
If you don't keep pushing up, your arc length will alternate between touching and long arcing - remember that you are feeding the rod into the metal.

Btw, I run with the flux touching because I'm not steady enough to keep a 1/16" arc length - so I go a couple more amps and let it touch.

Make sure your amps allow you to run this tight without sticking.
I like 100 amps on 3/32 7018 for flat and overhead (and vertical if the metal is heavy enough).
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I watched the video. Good info as always from the master!

I notice that the "oatmeal" look of my overhead beads are getting better. Just time under hood. :D
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I am going a bit off topic here, but I hope the instructor said more to you than "hmm looks like oatmeal...keep trying". After that much time in class, you should be able to identify WHY you are getting the results you are getting (either good or bad) and WHAT you need to do to fix it!

Just looking at your welds: You have 'skips', and you are rushing. Your beads are narrow. I would bet you are not comfortable or in anything resembling a good position. You need to let the puddle fill out; work on puddle control.

Sorry! Only trying to be constructive! Make sure you are in a good position to where you can look into the arc and see the entire puddle. Watch your rod angles (it helps if you have someone else help you check and make sure you have it right). SLOW DOWN! You WILL get this!

Yeah, I was horribly uncomfortable. He had me welding with my arms cocked all weird and the rod coming 90 deg out the side of the stinger. Another student suggested I hang the whip up and have the rod come out the tip of the stinger. Night & day!
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

prebres wrote:Yeah, I was horribly uncomfortable. He had me welding with my arms cocked all weird and the rod coming 90 deg out the side of the stinger. Another student suggested I hang the whip up and have the rod come out the tip of the stinger. Night & day!
Something else that helps is to throw some extra lead looped over your shoulder so that it rests there and you are not holding the weight of the lead up off the floor by the electrode holder. It might not be that bad with some small cable, but the company that I used to work for had 0000 cables on everything and it was heavy.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
Msumner
    Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:32 pm

prebres wrote:
Yeah, I was horribly uncomfortable. He had me welding with my arms cocked all weird and the rod coming 90 deg out the side of the stinger. Another student suggested I hang the whip up and have the rod come out the tip of the stinger. Night & day!
Something else that helps is to throw some extra lead looped over your shoulder so that it rests there and you are not holding the weight of the lead up off the floor by the electrode holder. It might not be that bad with some small cable, but the company that I used to work for had 0000 cables on everything and it was heavy.

...now i do this as well but i would like to point out that you can be shocked pretty hard if the cable is frayed especially since its wrapped around your neck lol.