Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
NoLogix
    Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey I'm new here and I want to apologize for my English first because it's not my first language.
Also, I'm about to do my 6g certification test on 2 inch pipe and I need some advices because it's been 4 months since I finished welding school and I have not practice since. So my biggest issue doing this test is porosity everytime I'm starting my hot pass or capping in overhead position. I don't know how I could fix this...is it because I scratch the rod and don't let it heat enough or I'm too far away? I'd like to have some advice on this because I know porosity is really not good while doing this test and I don't want to fail.
Also, what size of rod do you guys use while doing the hot pass: 3/32 or 1/8? I used to take the 3/32 but I can't fill the bevel enough so I thought I could try the 1/8 but would it be too overkill?
Last question. While doing the capping, I always try to do 3 beads but while doing the second and third one theres always an undercut and I'm struggling to make it look good because it always require a fourth bead and sometime theres still a small undercut...is it because I'm too hot or it's my angle that's not good?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate,

Welcome to the show. Since you mentioned starting porosity, Im assuming that you are using 7018 rods? Jody, our head honcho has made a few videos demonstrating good starting techniques for stick.

The first one is sort of a what not to do video, and with good techniques after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFZ__4t7ck

This one is tig root and hot followed by 7018 cap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yDSUeZAxc

I hope they help.
Mick
NoLogix
    Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:00 pm

That second video is really great I'll try to start the stick farther than the beginning of my beads and see if that's my problem

Although, since my certification test is on a 2in rather than a 6in, it would heat up pretty quickly compared to the 6 so what would you recommand while doing the capping? Should I wait a bit to cool down or just lower the amp because when I do this the stick just keep sticking and making crap :/

Hey,

I cant offer personal experience because i dont weld pipe. But i think if you hold a short arc and let it cool down a bit between runs, that may help. I think jody made a 2" pipe vid a while back so ill did it up for you.

Mick
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey Mick, I beat you to it ;)

Here's the 6g 2 inch 7018 cover pass
http://welding-tv.com/2012/08/07/stick- ... ding-test/
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

:twisted:
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024