Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Aquadan005
    Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am

Recommendation needed for filler metal for welding 1/8" mild steel angle iron. Need good appearance on welds. Have TIG welded miles of aluminum in the past, no experience with steel yet.

Thanx in advance.

Dan L
The early bird may get the worm,
But the second mouse gets the cheese !
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You're gonna get a bunch of people recommend er70s-2.

Ignore the them. Get you some er70s-6 in 1/16" and you'll be pleased with the results. Best finish happens if you clean the angle to shiny.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Aquadan005

Coldman wrote:You're gonna get a bunch of people recommend er70s-2.

Ignore the them. Get you some er70s-6 in 1/16" and you'll be pleased with the results. Best finish happens if you clean the angle to shiny.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Much appreciated, Thank you!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I’m not sure 1/16 filler is the “best” choice. It all depends upon the application and weld requirements for the part. You might be fine, you might need more than a single pass with 1/16. ER70-2 or -6 are very similar, but if there’s a specific requirement, you need to consult that, not the Internet of Opinions.
Aquadan005

cj737 wrote:I’m not sure 1/16 filler is the “best” choice. It all depends upon the application and weld requirements for the part. You might be fine, you might need more than a single pass with 1/16. ER70-2 or -6 are very similar, but if there’s a specific requirement, you need to consult that, not the Internet of Opinions.
Update:
Used 1/8" and got excellent results !
Thanks again for the replies.