Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

av8or1 wrote:Ok thanks. I haven't heard of many folk making claims later on in their ownership, at least not successfully. Concerning. I'll definitely need to give this more thought...

Speaking of thoughts...I've had one comparison that I've been assuming "must be" true, but it seems worthy of asking since I have little experience with TIG. So this TIG brazing thing ... it doesn't melt the base metal and introduces less heat than a normal TIG weld. That's to the good. How about a comparison to a MIG weld? I've concluded that the brazing would also be less heat input since the MIG weld will melt the base metal. Correct? And is the diff in heat input between a MIG brazing with SiBr wire versus a TIG brazing with SiBr filler rod/wire just a wash, ergo roughly equal?

Thanks!
I learned a lot about TIG brazing when I was modifying an oil pan for my race car.

Most important thing that I learned with regards to heat input: If you want to minimize the heat input, you have to use tiny silicon bronze filler rods. If the filler rod is too big, then it's counter-productive because you can't heat the filler rod directly or else it will ball-up on you. You need to heat the base metal and from there heat is transferred into the filler rod. Sometimes it actually helps to produce a tiny molten steel puddle to initiate the melting of the filler (kinda like how tinning a part when soldering helps the flow of solder into the joint), but a relatively small filler rod will likely be better overall.

As for MIG brazing vs TIG brazing, it all depends on the machine. Machines that can do pulse MIG can limit the heat input more than just running the wire "traditionally". I have a small roll of 030 silicon bronze for my MIG but I haven't had the time to test it out. I suspect that with the pulse program for it, it will greatly limit the heat input, just as pulse does with any other welding process.

Oscar, did I see a Eastwood MIG in 1 of those pics? :o Thats not in your sig ;)
Richard
Website

Yes. That picture is from 2010 or 2011 or 2012. I didn't even own a single HTP when I took those pics. :)
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Oh the horror[emoji16]
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Oh the horror[emoji16]
Tell me about it. But really the Eastwoods served me pretty good. The first to go was the TIG 200 AC/DC. I wanted more features so that's when I got the Invertig 221 (December 2013). Then the MIG 175 had to go when I bought the Miller 211 inverter in October 2015, which then got replaced by the Pro Pulse 300 in July 2018. The last Eastwood to go was the Versacut 40A plasma cutter. That thing served me well from about 2010 up until January 2019 when it got replaced by the HTP Microcut 875sc.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Sounds like you were slowly turning to the dark side.

Lol
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
av8or1

Oscar wrote:
Tell me about it. But really the Eastwoods served me pretty good. The first to go was the TIG 200 AC/DC. I wanted more features so that's when I got the Invertig 221 (December 2013). Then the MIG 175 had to go when I bought the Miller 211 inverter in October 2015, which then got replaced by the Pro Pulse 300 in July 2018. The last Eastwood to go was the Versacut 40A plasma cutter. That thing served me well from about 2010 up until January 2019 when it got replaced by the HTP Microcut 875sc.
Hah! Hearing this is making me reconsider the 62i/875sc decision. Maybe I'll just go with an Eastwood product! :D

av8or1 wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Hah! Hearing this is making me reconsider the 62i/875sc decision. Maybe I'll just go with an Eastwood product! :D
Obviously your money, your call, but consumable life on the Eastwood plasma cutter was less than the lifespan of a bowl of ice cream in front of a fat kid. It's a $500 plasma and plays the part to the T. Nowhere near the same class as $1000+ plasma cutters, much less those near the $2000+ mark. A side- by-side use would likely sway your thoughts real quick.
av8or1

Oscar wrote:Obviously your money, your call, but consumable life on the Eastwood plasma cutter was less than the lifespan of a bowl of ice cream in front of a fat kid. It's a $500 plasma and plays the part to the T. Nowhere near the same class as $1000+ plasma cutters, much less those near the $2000+ mark. A side- by-side use would likely sway your thoughts real quick.
So you are saying then that the consumables for the HTP 875sc or the Everlast 62i will outlast the Eastwood consumables?

av8or1 wrote:
Oscar wrote:Obviously your money, your call, but consumable life on the Eastwood plasma cutter was less than the lifespan of a bowl of ice cream in front of a fat kid. It's a $500 plasma and plays the part to the T. Nowhere near the same class as $1000+ plasma cutters, much less those near the $2000+ mark. A side- by-side use would likely sway your thoughts real quick.
So you are saying then that the consumables for the HTP 875sc or the Everlast 62i will outlast the Eastwood consumables?
No, I'm saying that the consumables for the HTP 875sc will outlast the Eastwood consumables. I've never used anything everlast.