Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I was practicing TIG today on aluminum and noticed that the arc was inconsistent in how it started.
125A
3/32" 2% lanthanated
No pulse
Ground connected directly to the work

Sometimes I would have to bring the tungsten till it almost touched the work before the arc initiated. Once I accidentally pressed the pedal down a bit while the tungsten was 1/4" away from the work and blam, the arc initiated.
What would cause the difference?
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Most likely some kind of grounding issue with the HF. I notice this with my TIG's sometimes. Just out of nowhere the arc won't initiate unless I tap the filler rod on the table or on the part. It's very random, so my analysis is only conjecture.
DavidR8

Thanks @Oscar, I presumed a grounding issue wasn't letting the HF start do its thing. I'll keep an eye on it to see if I see any patterns.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Try swapping your tungsten for a fresh one, or giving the current tungsten a fresh grind. Also try lightly hitting the area you are about to start an arc on with a wire brush, especially if it's a restart. In both cases, it may be an aluminum oxide layer interfering with the arc start...even if you didn't dip the tungsten, a tiny bit could have still popped up on it, and it spreads rapidly.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What’s your humidity like?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
DavidR8

Spartan wrote:Try swapping your tungsten for a fresh one, or giving the current tungsten a fresh grind. Also try lightly hitting the area you are about to start an arc on with a wire brush, especially if it's a restart. In both cases, it may be an aluminum oxide layer interfering with the arc start...even if you didn't dip the tungsten, a tiny bit could have still popped up on it, and it spreads rapidly.
Thanks @spartan, I will definitely try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
DavidR8

Poland308 wrote:What’s your humidity like?
In the 85% range today.

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Does your machine have settings for the tungsten diameter? Mine does, and if yours does, then that is important because it determines the intensity of the high frequency output, which starts your Arc. Check your settings or menus. In my case you need to do it in a menu that is accessed by a special button press on the control panel.
DavidR8

BugHunter wrote:Does your machine have settings for the tungsten diameter? Mine does, and if yours does, then that is important because it determines the intensity of the high frequency output, which starts your Arc. Check your settings or menus. In my case you need to do it in a menu that is accessed by a special button press on the control panel.
No there's no setting for tungsten diameter.
The intensity is what seems to differ, sometimes it really intense and will light up 1/4" away (when I accidentally press the pedal slightly) and other times in the same session it's about as intense as the flint in a worn out lighter.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Definitely give that tungsten a fresh grind, make sure you grind parallel to the tip and maybe a take a few minutes to check the HF spark gap (assuming it has points).
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
DavidR8

G-ManBart wrote:Definitely give that tungsten a fresh grind, make sure you grind parallel to the tip and maybe a take a few minutes to check the HF spark gap (assuming it has points).
Thanks, I will definitely do that.
I don't actually know if the Primeweld 225 has points but I will find out.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I've only had the issues once. I started by cleaning the contact areas of the ground clamp. That solved it. I had also replaced my collet at the same time but I think it was scraping the ground clamp that did it.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
DavidR8

Heard from Primeweld that there are points that can be adjusted. Haven't opened thew hood yet to peek inside.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

did you happen to ask if your opening the machine to adjust the points will void the warranty? I thought your machine was new, unless ya got hi humidity and dust particles running around that might be causing the points to fuzz over. that's just a thought and I do get lots of them,,,,
DavidR8

BillE.Dee wrote:did you happen to ask if your opening the machine to adjust the points will void the warranty? I thought your machine was new, unless ya got hi humidity and dust particles running around that might be causing the points to fuzz over. that's just a thought and I do get lots of them,,,,
That question is still hanging... I'll update as I get answers.
My gut sense is that it's not a points issue rather user error; bad ground, goobered tungsten or both! :D

EDIT: opening up the Primeweld to check the points will NOT void my warranty according to Dustin Gallaher from Primeweld.
Last edited by DavidR8 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BillE.Dee

WHERE in thee hell did you come up with the word goobered? An old buddy of mine has been calling me goober for a long time simply because I had some goobers on a weld.
DavidR8

BillE.Dee wrote:WHERE in thee hell did you come up with the word goobered? An old buddy of mine has been calling me goober for a long time simply because I had some goobers on a weld.
Gosh I don't know actually...it's been a word I've used for a long time to describe blobs.
Absolutely did not mean to offend if I did :(
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

My AHP has gotten me into the habit of tapping the tungsten on the work before hitting the pedal.
For me, it makes it start every time and gives me reference as I have depth perception issues. Yeah, I dip way too much
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Jim FLinchbaugh wrote:My AHP has gotten me into the habit of tapping the tungsten on the work before hitting the pedal.
For me, it makes it start every time and gives me reference as I have depth perception issues. Yeah, I dip way too much
I do the same thing to make sure my arc length starts out tight.
DavidR8

Jim FLinchbaugh wrote:My AHP has gotten me into the habit of tapping the tungsten on the work before hitting the pedal.
Thanks Jim, do you do this because the arc doesn’t start consistently?

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Oscar wrote:
I do the same thing to make sure my arc length starts out tight.
I do as well. Really builds great muscle memory to keep the tungsten at the same tight distance every time. Makes it become second nature and to the point where you can strike good arcs without even having to look at it.
Rippin_Lip
    Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Sounds like a hi frequency issue. I've had issues with two different manufacturers machines that started like this. One needed a new hi frequency board and the other needed points adjusted. Both started out with the issue that i had to touch the material with the tungsten first and the lift off before I hit the pedal to start, until eventually they just wouldn't start at all. Maybe the factory didn't fully tighten the screws that hold the points in place once adjusted?
Millermatic 211, Hobart Ironman 240, Everlast PowerTIG 315lx, Evelast Power iTIG 200T
BillE.Dee

David, absolutely o offense over the goober .... an old friend of mine always used that along with gobbers when winding on someone's welds. OR else he would stand there looking up to the ceiling looking for birds with diahrea.
DavidR8

BillE.Dee wrote:David, absolutely o offense over the goober .... an old friend of mine always used that along with gobbers when winding on someone's welds. OR else he would stand there looking up to the ceiling looking for birds with diahrea.
Oh good! I’m glad no offence was taken.
I will from here on out refer to bird offerings as goobers :D

David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225