Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I got a project comming up welding some .060 tubing butt joint. I have practiced on some scrap I have laying around .040 tungsten .045 filler at 70 max amps. I am having trouble with the weld dropping through. On the outside I have a nice stack of dimes good tie in but I still have this edge or drop on the inside of the joint wich I don't want its mild steel. Any info would be a great help. If I slack up on the pedal its too cold and I have tried a fast travel speed but I am stumped.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I take it you usually run full pedal? I'd turn down the amps a little bit, and increase your travel speed little by little until you find the right rhythm. I think 70 amps is a bit to high for me personally. Might try addin a bit less filler rod too.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I try not to run full pedal unless the puddle calls for it at the time. I try to set amps a litle higher than needed so I can have the amps available but mostly control heat with the foot pedal.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Man, I was griping about 1/2" X .045 ss socket welds! What the heck are you working on?

Steve