Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Heres a good one. Set up a fillet weld and had to lay my positioning magnet down along the backside of the weld because of a space issue. When I lit up, you should have seen that arc wander. Worse than that was....I couldn, t figure it out. I tacked the piece and was sure I removed the positioner so it had to be the welder. After trying everything in the book, I looked behind the piece and saw that magnet. Glad nobody was looking but I thought you guys might appreciate my brain fart :oops: Thats what I get for tippin that jar one too many times.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

As brain farts go, that's not too bad lol. At least there weren't witnesses. :lol:
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

It happens to the best of us. Well, at least it happens to me. I was running self-shielded flux core and switched to solid wire and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the arc was running funny and no penatration. After a few mins...ok maybe like 10 mins, I remembered the polarity was backwards. :( :roll: :oops:
-Jonathan
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Using TIG go in house for lunch turned machine off along with argon. Come back turn machine on strike an arc :roll: No gas duh didn't turn it back
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

dirtmidget33 wrote:Using TIG go in house for lunch turned machine off along with argon. Come back turn machine on strike an arc :roll: No gas duh didn't turn it back
Now that I have done more than once.
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Bumped the trigger on autofeed before Lunch and dumped most of a roll of wire on the ground.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Left the full argon bottle open overnight with a perished hose o-ring. Bottle empty in the morning. [ANGRY FACE]
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Left the welder on for a whole weekend and the other three people I work with walked by it at least a hundred times and never shut it off. Good thing the customer we supply pays the electric bill. I use a torch with a valve on it and forget quite often.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:It happens to the best of us. Well, at least it happens to me. I was running self-shielded flux core and switched to solid wire and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the arc was running funny and no penatration. After a few mins...ok maybe like 10 mins, I remembered the polarity was backwards. :( :roll: :oops:
-Jonathan
BTDT .... :oops:
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I know we all consider ourselves craftsmen, but its also nice to know that other people get in a hurry or are forgetful. I have left my gas on overnight and drained the bottle and now I am TOO diligent about shutting it off and coming back to weld something and frying tungsten or making a mig weld just long enough to have to get out the grinder....God I hate that. :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
dirtmidget33 wrote:Using TIG go in house for lunch turned machine off along with argon. Come back turn machine on strike an arc :roll: No gas duh didn't turn it back
Now that I have done more than once.
-Jonathan

Kinda like, setup the back purge, get everything taped up and mounted, make sure the line is good to go. Grab torch and not turn on the purge. Grind