Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
joshuanaaa
    Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 am

Hey im tig welding carbon and at the end when I go to tail out im getting porosity. This has never happened to me before and I cant figure out the cause. Help!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I assume you're doing a fixed-amp weld, either lift-arc or scratch start?

Sounds like a gas coverage issue to me. After the obvious (confirming enough flow at the torch), I'd guess you're not drawing the torch back as you tail, allowing the gas stream to draw air. When tailing off a fixed-amp weld, I prefer to bring the torch to 90* to the workpiece, and slowly raise the torch in small circles until I see the puddle chill, then "snap" off, leaving a little bump like an inverted crater that my file can knock off in two swipes.

If I'm off-base in my assumptions, give us more detail.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve's right on track here. Most guys get porosity when they turn out the side of the weld, it creates a steep torch angle that draws air in from behind. I go back over the last 1/2" or so as I'm lifting my torch and swirling. Same thing, small volcano that can be knocked off.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Do you use gas lens? Switched to bigger cup?
-Markus-