Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mr. Moose
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:14 pm

AndersK,

You might find some useful info here:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... ideos.html:

In particular, there's a video in that section titled "Tig welding stainless steel with a stubby gas lens kit" that will look very much like what you're trying to do with the lap joint. It will give you a better idea of the speed we're making reference to...
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AndersK wrote:You guys has to be the most polite bunch on the internet ...
:D
Thanks for noticing!
We like it that way.
We've faced questions from "How does potassium chloride contribute to corrosions-stress cracking?" to "How do I plug this in?"
We take everyone seriously.
Steve S
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Mr. Moose wrote:AndersK,

You might find some useful info here:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... ideos.html:

In particular, there's a video in that section titled "Tig welding stainless steel with a stubby gas lens kit" that will look very much like what you're trying to do with the lap joint. It will give you a better idea of the speed we're making reference to...
I think I know which one you mean. Had another look at it this weekend and I noticed I moved as fast or even faster. I did some more practice yesterday and slowed down a lot to get better consistency, to my surprise the color was still quite good. I used the torch switch on and off frequently to control the heat with help of the downslope ( increased it to 3s).

Superiorwelding wrote: I would suggest working on your actual welding technique rather than focusing on the coloring. I still see inconsistent beadwidth and spacing,
Better?
DSC_0446[1].jpg
DSC_0446[1].jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Ok, needs better consistency and a little too hot in some places.
This weld run all around for 450 mm. I was welding 1-2" each pass and jumped around (wording?) to avoid distorsion
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AndersK,
What an improvement!!!! That my friend is very acceptable! Good job on making those transitions. The fillet is hard let alone a rounded fillet. Keep that up!
-Jonathan
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

I've been welding a good bit of kitchen stainless the past few months and had my share of issues trying to perfect my welds so they disappear into the kitchen equipment, sinks, hoods, tables....... Most of the stuff is 18 gauge and I've tried everything. What's working best for me right now in an .040 2% lanthanated tungsten in a 9 torch with a #4 cup about 40-45 amps although I'm only using a lot of peddle to wet up, then I'm on it just enough to keep the puddle moving, and using about 17 cf of straight argon, .035 309L wire.
Like I said, that seems to be working best for me "right now". I tried the gas lens. I tried the tri mix. I tried bigger cup which most of the time I like using a #6.
Sometimes you might have to find what works for you.
Thanks, Jack

Thanks
Two major changes. I put led light on my helmet so I can see what I'm doing (changed helmet a while ago but didnt swap the lights...)
and I bought a pedal, should have done that a long time ago...
DSC_0426[1].jpg
DSC_0426[1].jpg (224.15 KiB) Viewed 907 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Nice! The pedal will help a lot. Keep the pics coming.

Now I am interested in your shop set up. Looks sweet. I have wanted to put a set of tools out like you have but don't want them to get all dusty :roll: :lol:
-Jonathan
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

It is also pretty important to me, that I have something to rest my fore arm on. Keeps your hands steady. I use the tig finger, sometimes a pair of old gloves, sometimes a wooden 2x4, back of my shop chair. Whatever it take to steady my hands enough to keep the point of that tungsten exactly where I want it to be. Makes a big difference when you have total control and not trying to free hand it.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Anders,
You need to post your picture in the "Rogues Gallery" post.

The pedal will make a huge difference on heat input control. It's good to have somewhere to lean on but try to get used to leaning with a very light touch so you can advance easily without rolling the torch and losing good torch angle. I find that when I'm in an position where I had to lean on something to brace myself that I roll my torch more and my gas coverage suffers. I hope that makes sense.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Looking very good!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yup good improvement. Difficult to get that straw color on such thin material, but short runs do help a lot. Heat-sinking would also help as well.

Superiorwelding wrote: I have wanted to put a set of tools out like you have but don't want them to get all dusty :roll: :lol:
-Jonathan
You know you have to use them to keep dust off? :mrgreen:

I agree about what you all say about support and a soft grip. I use the tig finger where it helps. I also use an IKEA fire blanket that I cut pieces from. Fold a couple times and it can be used to slide on without burning through.

Having the pedal is also positive on torch grip when I'm not forced to hold it a certain way to reach the trigger.

Added a cap so there are outside corners to weld
DSC_0464[1].jpg
DSC_0464[1].jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 830 times
Some angled tubes. A 9 torch felt big between the two...
DSC_0459[1].jpg
DSC_0459[1].jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 830 times
DSC_0466[1].jpg
DSC_0466[1].jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 830 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You need a CK Micro-Tig Torch

:D