Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Dcstang67
    Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:16 am

I needed a catch can that flowed with the rest of the parts in the engine bay on my 67 Mustang, so i decided to make one. I used .080" 5052 h32 sheet for the body. I made the filter bung on the top out of some 6061 2" diameter round stock that i turned on my old 1919 South Bend 13" lathe. The other 2 bungs were bought. I think it turned out well. If i were to do it again i would have made full-open corner joints instead of the flush corner joints to make the welds cover the corner more intead of favoring one side of the joint. After it was all welded up, i brushed it with a red scotchbright and then gave it a coat of clear powder coat for protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Dcstang67

Here is the entire engine bay. Image

Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Beautiful! Quit teasing, overall pic of the car lol
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Awesome job sir. But I have to say I think this would be better for the welding project section.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene

?? It is fine here "TIG welding Aluminum", I noticed the beads before I noticed the project scope. Fine looking job.
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Dcstang67

ImageImageImage

NICE!!!!!! Now the pics where you can't see it, hidden by a cloud of white smoke, audio mandatory :lol:
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I wish I could see any of the pictures...

I'm going to have to look at building a catch can myself. I've been using an old Mobil 1 quart bottle with a hose dropped in it to catch venting oil from my TDI burping past the EGR valve actuator... It could use a little refinement!
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Dcstang67

DLewis0289 wrote:NICE!!!!!! Now the pics where you can't see it, hidden by a cloud of white smoke, audio mandatory :lol:
Lol. I actually dont have any of those.

Dcstang67

hey_allen wrote:I wish I could see any of the pictures...

I'm going to have to look at building a catch can myself. I've been using an old Mobil 1 quart bottle with a hose dropped in it to catch venting oil from my TDI burping past the EGR valve actuator... It could use a little refinement!
If you are on instagram you can find me @DCstang67

Dcstang67

https://youtu.be/q1ZPC0MALAk

Dcstang67

https://youtu.be/LI9Heo_r9P4

Dcstang67

Those are both old videos. Its a whole new animal since then. Complete new drivetrain and suspension