Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

I don't think I would have a chance on the .005 blades. I was having a tough time with .035 on the utility knife blades. I think my pulse will go that low. I believe I can go as low as 3 amps with .040 tungsten. I was thinking along the lines of setting the max to 20-25 amps then 1pps with 20% peak 50% background current and add filler at the peak. at least to use the .035 wire.

I had a spool of .025 at one point and I'm still trying to find that, or I'll have to find some "not made to be filler" material that is thinner.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Had some .40 tungsten in torch this morning it wasn't in greatest shape, thought what hell since I posted on this thread couple of days ago. Threw some used blades on bench and put them together been a long time since I tried this. Machine goes to 5 amps but won't puddle at that turned it up to 10 was a little much, but feathered down. So was prolly welded at 7 to 9, Filler was safety wire. Stuck the tungsten where it's discolored and yanked torch loose which made color even worse losing gas coverage. Might try another one later, I know I can get better results.
0824161039a.jpg
0824161039a.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Thats awesome. My machine will only go down to 10 amps with a 3/32" tungsten so I had to move out...no time for filler...Great work! I'm impressed! I think this game just took on a new life :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

What is the dia and matl of the safety wire?
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
dirtmidget33

The safety wire was .032 stainless listed as 302/304. I normally have .020 also but did not order after I ran out last time. The .020 I had was iconel need to get more.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder

dirtmidget33 wrote:The safety wire was .032 stainless listed as 302/304. I normally have .020 also but did not order after I ran out last time. The .020 I had was iconel need to get more.
My machine will only go to 5 amps with a .040 tungsten...which I don't have so you own this thread....for now :twisted: :lol:
dirtmidget33

exnailpounder wrote: My machine will only go to 5 amps with a .040 tungsten...which I don't have so you own this thread....for now :twisted: :lol:
Sure I could get lot better results with .020 or smaller filler, cheater lens, and a tungsten that's not crapped up. Need a cheater for project I'm working on anyway. Its a lightwieght prototype part, otherwise I would post pics of that also. This is what tungsten looked like a little worse now then when I started since I dipped it earlier then again on the blade. One of my other sharpened .040 thrown in to show grind I use on them most of time. I don't have any .020 tungsten or accessories for it, as small as .040 is not sure I could even see using .020 tungsten
0824161326.jpg
0824161326.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Sounds like a possible new machine coming them?

What machine where you using?
I guess the Miller Sycrowave 210 seen that in your signature.
dirtmidget33

Gave it another shot before calling it a day. Tried 2 two sets One set was a total waste tried something different, this was other one. These blades real brittle in HAZ
0824161621a.jpg
0824161621a.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Not results that I'm happy with.
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I sort of got it! My first was a disaster. After reading all the tips I did a slight lap with 1/16 tungsten, .032 safety wire at 18 amps. My biggest problem was staying on the joint. I couldn't see it at all. I went back over it staying off to the side a bit. It aint great but for my second shot at it, it ain't too bad. I'll post a pic when I get my pc back from the computer morgue.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

My poor effort.

I did everything wrong at every step. I came over all inspired, then realised that I had only two blades in my shed...and that both were used...and they were different to one another.

Cleaned them up and made a start. Should have spent time clamping but didn't. The disastrous ends are where I touched down and the tungsten stuck, lifting the blades. D'oh!

Used my Metalmaster 215 at 15 amps with pedal. Needle sharp 1.6mm tungsten, 2% Lanthanated. As filler I used .025 Mig wire.

Needless to say I have a pack of fresh, clean cutter blades on their way in the post right now!

Kym
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

My local Home Depot is out of razor blades. That's my story , and I'm sticking to it. Lol

sedanman wrote:My local Home Depot is out of razor blades. That's my story , and I'm sticking to it. Lol
It's a pretty good cover story! :lol:

And you can see what happens if you try to weld used blades. (Used blades misbehaving is MY excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Kym
exnailpounder

MosquitoMoto wrote:
sedanman wrote:My local Home Depot is out of razor blades. That's my story , and I'm sticking to it. Lol

And you can see what happens if you try to weld used blades. (Used blades misbehaving is MY excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Kym
Kym....thats not too bad. This isn't easy and all of our welds look like shit. You're way too hard on yourself. Thin metal is a bitch and I think you did well.
exnailpounder

dirtmidget33 wrote:Gave it another shot before calling it a day. Tried 2 two sets One set was a total waste tried something different, this was other one. These blades real brittle in HAZ
0824161621a.jpg
Not results that I'm happy with.
I noticed they do get really brittle. I f someone ever comes to me and wants me to weld a bunch of razor blades together, I can lie and say it's not a good idea because they get brittle. That or admit I suck :lol:

I think K-Mart has them on sale this week! :lol:
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

OK God dammit..I am going to betray myself and go to AirGas in the morning and get a .040 electrode and gas lens setup. Thanks everybody for being competitive...now you have unleashed the beast :lol:
dirtmidget33

exnailpounder wrote:OK God dammit..I am going to betray myself and go to AirGas in the morning and get a .040 electrode and gas lens setup. Thanks everybody for being competitive...now you have unleashed the beast :lol:
Damn your gonna make me buy a .020 then :lol: and micro tig filler They do make .005 and .007 think its like 9 or ten inches long. Think it's like 60 or 70 bucks for 25 pieces too :shock:
exnailpounder

dirtmidget33 wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:OK God dammit..I am going to betray myself and go to AirGas in the morning and get a .040 electrode and gas lens setup. Thanks everybody for being competitive...now you have unleashed the beast :lol:
Damn your gonna make me buy a .020 then :lol: and micro tig filler They do make .005 and .007 think its like 9 or ten inches long. Think it's like 60 or 70 bucks for 25 pieces too :shock:
To hell with you...I"M gonna buy a.020 :lol: Im gonna buy a damned microscope too. :lol:
dirtmidget33

exnailpounder wrote: To hell with you...I"M gonna buy a.020 :lol: Im gonna buy a damned microscope too. :lol:
It's on NOW :lol:

Just a reference for anyone thinking about pulse, 5 amp to 8 amp pulse 2 times to 5 times a second hardly can tell it's pulsing it is so slight. Not worth hassle of messing with it and actually made things worse. Did total of three sets today That's the one I didn't get pics of the one with pulse.

exnailpounder wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:

Kym
Kym....thats not too bad. This isn't easy and all of our welds look like shit. You're way too hard on yourself. Thin metal is a bitch and I think you did well.
Thanks nailer - but I'll keep working on it.

I love this competitive stuff. And you know what I'm really happy about? If nothing else I have proved that (as usual) if I play my part, this machine of mine will do anything I need it to do. What an awesome piece of kit.

Those new cutter blades can't come soon enough!

Kym
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm looking for 1/4" thick razor blades.
then ill give it a try
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:I'm looking for 1/4" thick razor blades.
then ill give it a try
craig
:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote: I love this competitive stuff. And you know what I'm really happy about? If nothing else I have proved that (as usual) if I play my part, this machine of mine will do anything I need it to do. What an awesome piece of kit.

Kym
Now are you talking about your welder or your motorcycle? ;)

I'm lovin this thread! I might have to give this a try once I finish my stand. See what this 256Si (really me) is capable of!
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)

I think the fun thing about this challenge is, you really can't use/blame the machine. As long as the amps can go low enough, it's all about the individual holding the torch. I would wager someone that can run razor blades reliably could do so on a Harbor freight tig just as well as a Dynasty, all things being equal (torch tungsten etc).
I might try my #9 fixed gold shade a try to see if that reflects some more light to make the weld puddle more visible.
-Jon

Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
exnailpounder

20160825_105854.jpg
20160825_105854.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 971 times
OK...here is my entry. All I could get was 1/16" E3 tungsten. I set the machine at 7 amps, gas lens, 8cfh.
The secret is...don't light up on the overlapped blade, light up on the blade underneath it and get your puddle and then wash up onto the overlapped blade. This is where you need to dip or you will just burn back the top blade. You need to cool that puddle as soon as your arc touches that overlapped blade or its burns back. I couldn't find anything small enough to use for filler wire SO...I clipped some strands out of a cup brush and tacked them together for filler wire.It was like dipping with a piece of hair :lol: I tried some .030 mig wire and 7 amps won't melt it fast enough to keep your puddle going. Also(very important!) grind a shallow taper on your tungsten and blunt the tip ever so slightly to spread your arc out. I tried a long taper to a point and it concentrates the arc and blows holes. I turned the gas down because 15cfh was making the arc unstable. I also turned my AD down to #5 which is the lowest setting the hood has and I put in a 1.75 cheater and wore strong reading glasses under the hood. I have a table full of fried blades as this took some time to figure out :lol: As in 3 hours to get one decent example so have fun and I hope ya got lots a blades to fry up :lol: And I did stop and start a couple time to let the blades cool a bit. Not much room to feather the pedal at 7 amps and in my earlier attempts, I could get about half way across and the blades would just overheat and drop out. You can see where the heat was running for the doors in the middle of the blades or should I say BLADE as they are now one!
Last edited by exnailpounder on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.