Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nortical
    Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 pm

I have done a bit of research and looking for some advice.

Potentially have to do 2000 of these to do. What I have made is a mock up of something like its going to be. Apparently the load is max 5kg on these parts (bit short on details of where the load is)

Now the drawing calls for the parts to be braised/soldered but I think oxy braising them or tig braising them will take some time and if i can make it work then that can be changed (not a life or death part, I believe its for a soap dispenser believe it or not). I am wondering if they can be Tigged? Watched Jody's video and settings and thinking of fusing them around to sort of melt the corner of the larger diameter and leave the weld below flush which is a requirement.

Have 3 of these mocked up, I have a AC/DC inverter so going to give them a crack then break them and see how solid the weld is.

Yay or Nay? I know soldering them is probably preferred but probably cost prohibitive given the volume.
Attachments
IMG_5786.JPG
IMG_5786.JPG (39.86 KiB) Viewed 545 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

My experience with trying to tig brass hasn't gone well. It's got zinc in it and zinc does not like to be tigged...not even tig brazed. Your alloy may not contain zinc or may have smaller quantities of it so you might be lucky but if it does have zinc...have fun.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Would be faster to braze or solder them. Do sets of them flux them assemble them the go down the line brazing or soldering them. You can even coil brazing rod on to a round doll and cut rings off. Place ring in joint with several laid out instead of adding filler on each one. It will flow into the fluxed joint when melted.

If done in factory setting this would be braised using induction heat taking approximately 10 to 20 secs per part.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Something similar to this is.

https://youtu.be/P4TL_nBWLhU
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I have been TIG welding brass as an experiment process for about a week. So far all good results , if not messy as hell. I've used Romex bare copper 12ga. wire and low sulphur brass rod with pretty much the same results. It's messy , dirty, stinky and smoky but easy. I did a simple 90* fillet weld yesterday and then destruction tested it away from the weld and the brass plate tore next to the weld but the weld held %100.
Attachments
brass2 (1).jpg
brass2 (1).jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 511 times
brass2 (2).jpg
brass2 (2).jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 511 times
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

If the fitup is nice and snug between the parts then perhaps even use silver-solder?

With some flux it should wick into the complete joint between the parts quite easily and once solidified it will be quite a sturdy connection with little need for additional cleanup or rework.

Bye, Arno.