Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Dcstang67
    Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:16 am

I am in the process of welding up a roll cage in my car and have these connectors that are made out of solid 4130 that need to be welded to my mild steel .120 wall dom tubing. Which filler rod would be best for this application?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I usually use ER70S-2....
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ER70S-2 or ER80S-D2. But my biggest worry would be the thickness of those parts quenching the welds too fast. Are you planning on preheat of those parts?
Dcstang67

Yes. Definitely going to get a preheat

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Dcstang67 wrote:Yes. Definitely going to get a preheat

What/where are those parts going on? I know you said roll-cage, but which component/location?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I would go with E70 in this case. Remember the trade-off; The lower ultimate tensile strength results in more ductility. An E80 will be a harder weld deposit in the middle of a heat-affected transition of materials that will see much stress.

[These are opinions, only, and not based on direct experience. Your mileage may vary.]

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Oscar wrote:

What/where are those parts going on? I know you said roll-cage, but which component/location?
Typically door bars to ease ingress/egress.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Dcstang67

GreinTime wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Typically door bars to ease ingress/egress.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Removeable door bar and a removeable main hoop cross bar to remove and make safer for when i throw my 4 year old in the back when we go for a cruise. The roll bar is basically only going to be fully installed when i go to the track a couple times a year to make the officials happy. Last time i went they gave me the boot because i was running too fast and told me i need a roll bar.

Rick_H

As far as I know a removable main hoop cross bar is not NHRA acceptable, it is also one of the most important bars connected to the main hoop. Went through this year's ago with my Mustang before I installed a 25.5 chassis. I started with swing out side door bars but found I only used them in the beginning, then as I went faster they were also unacceptable.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Dcstang67

This car will not see any kind of competition. It is only going to be run on test and tune days and street nights maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I already spoke with my tech official and he said these kind of connectors will be acceptable for this reason because they are very strong.

Rick_H

Dcstang67 wrote:This car will not see any kind of competition. It is only going to be run on test and tune days and street nights maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I already spoke with my tech official and he said these kind of connectors will be acceptable for this reason because they are very strong.

How fast is the car? I'm assuming a 67 Mustang? I had a 67 coupe, 289 c4 car kinda miss it at times but you can bury me in my foxbody
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Dcstang67

It is a 67 coupe. I went to make some shakedown passes with a whole new suspension, engine and drivetrain setup and was only able to make 2 passes before they kicked me out. It ran 11.4 @128mph. I didnt even get a chance to launch it hard.