Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Nice work there BigD.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

Did a run of hairpin legs

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Very cool. I needed hoppers, 3 for autobag machines. I did the solid model then drilled 3 holes in each of the 12 blanks, made a tapped block to go in the Haas mill vise, then a .5 inch ball nose end mill to form the angles all 4 sides while screwed flat on the block in the vise.
Fit up looked great. I found when filling the holes which had served their purpose it doesn't matter if I dipped the tungsten....just glopped the aluminum in. Everlast 164 combo at full amps with pedal control. I'm not done sanding the glop flat.
I love my latest 3d software a lot! Fusion 360. Really helpful!
I really gotta stop putting the filler wire in my mouth after flipping up the mask though !!!
Attachments
20170129_014635.jpg
20170129_014635.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Last edited by nelson on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
nelson

Have to learn how to put up multiple pics...
Attachments
1485673432359759672056.jpg
1485673432359759672056.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

nelson wrote:Have to learn how to put up multiple pics...
For the multiple pics just do the same procedure over again and put the cursor below the other pics html code or put the cursor where you want the pic to be and then select "place inline" and choose the other pic or you will end up with 2 of the first one. It will look like this in the preview for 3 pics:

Code: Select all

[attachment=2]DSCF0513.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Dscf2890r.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Dscf2891r.jpg[/attachment]
nelson

Thanks a lot 'trode !
nelson

sketch1485715695639.png
sketch1485715695639.png (52.24 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Just thought of this. I don't have time to try it. I have to grind down the bevel to weld it....but if I saw cut the notch I might be able to run a bead along the corner without filler? Quick and easy? Know what I mean?
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

nelson wrote:
sketch1485715695639.png
Just thought of this. I don't have time to try it. I have to grind down the bevel to weld it....but if I saw cut the notch I might be able to run a bead along the corner without filler? Quick and easy? Know what I mean?
I really don't 100% understand what part this is in the pic but I do know that welding aluminum without filler is looking for trouble with cracking. YMMV. :)
nelson

I'm not an explainer... the arrow points to the area which would act like filler when welding a box like structure as my recent photos have, only in a pyramid shape.

My thinking is I could hit such a corner with high amps, move fast and produce a good tight joint in the 1/4 stock. No dimes needed. It's just for a good seal. The structural integrity comes from other welds with proper penetration, etc.

nelson wrote:I'm not an explainer... the arrow points to the area which would act like filler when welding a box like structure as my recent photos have, only in a pyramid shape.

My thinking is I could hit such a corner with high amps, move fast and produce a good tight joint in the 1/4 stock. No dimes needed. It's just for a good seal. The structural integrity comes from other welds with proper penetration, etc.
Are you saying because of the notch (I would call it a square groove) and high enough amperage the corner would become the filler?

You can do this if the groove location and depth are such that the corner would be consumed at the proper amps
sketch1485715695639.jpg
sketch1485715695639.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Richard
Website
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Pretty cool weekend project, I was asked by a friend who owns a shop to come do the plumbing on a 993 GT2 they are building for a guy. Pretty flattering to get that kind of task entrusted. The customer bought an exhaust for $10,000 which was supposed to be a drop-in and it's a disaster. I had to cut and realign several of the flanges. And it looks like crap inside, with sugaring all over. Shameful really. I took care to avoid any warpage and backpurge everything thoroughly, the back side looked as good as the outside. The flange at the turbo and transition are mild which I welded with ER70S-2 and the plumbing is 304, so I joined the transition with 309 and the rest with 316.
gt2_exhaust.jpg
gt2_exhaust.jpg (75.26 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
nelson

Yes Richard exactly. I know the way aluminum wants to ball up. I'm thinking this could come in as a handy timesaver.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

BigD wrote:Pretty cool weekend project, I was asked by a friend who owns a shop to come do the plumbing on a 993 GT2 they are building for a guy. Pretty flattering to get that kind of task entrusted. The customer bought an exhaust for $10,000 which was supposed to be a drop-in and it's a disaster. I had to cut and realign several of the flanges. And it looks like crap inside, with sugaring all over. Shameful really. I took care to avoid any warpage and backpurge everything thoroughly, the back side looked as good as the outside. The flange at the turbo and transition are mild which I welded with ER70S-2 and the plumbing is 304, so I joined the transition with 309 and the rest with 316.
gt2_exhaust.jpg
Sounds like akrapovic or meisterschaft to me!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

This gentleman walks into my shop and when I look up I could swear it was Grady from "Sanford and Son". Anyway, he has an affinity for Toyota Turbo Pick-Up Trucks. He finds deals on them all over the state, usually the deal is all for the same reason, cracked exhaust manifolds. Well, this is the 3rd manifold I've repaired for him.
Die grind out the crack and clean surrounding area till shiny
Drill #7 hole at each end
4 hour pre-heat on this old hot plate under a box on high
Syncrowave 250
About 150 amps but never went full throttle
3/32 E-3 tungsten
Nickel 99 stick rod with the flux removed
Small propane torch to blast a little more heat in the area just before welding
weld her up with 2 passes
back on the hot plate and another blast with the propane torch then back under the box
30 minutes later unplug the hot plate and let it cool slowly
and Willie Nelson singing Blue Eyes in the back ground
Turbo Exhaust.JPG
Turbo Exhaust.JPG (105.83 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
On the first pass the cast iron wanted to out gas terribly so I treated it like cast aluminum. Reduce the heat to barely keep a puddle and keep going over the area till all the impurities and bubbles stop. Saw no signs of gas pockets on the second pass.

As this manifold is cooling he shows back up with the engine block to this motor with a crack just under a freeze plug.
I'll do everything all the same, but this is going to require some Merle Haggard. Due to the size of the block I'll be using my nexd door neighbor's powder coat oven for pre-heat and cool down.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Well thats one way to keep business up. I guess it keeps you busy and you will get better experience so keep up the good work Rudy.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

Rudy have you ever Silicon bronzed one? I usually turn away cast pieces but I have had luck with SilBr.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

The block is junk, the crack runs internal and into a cylinder wall. No wonder there was water in the oil.

Yes, I do use Silly Bronze but due to manifold temps on a turbo application I played it safe with the Ni rod.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Melting down rods into less useful blobs on some 1/8

Screwing around with settings on a new machine. Runs quite a bit differently than the last one. Top left was actually the first one. Not sure why it was sooty, didn't dip. Probably should have cleaned the plate first. I also managed to impale my thumb with a nice sharp tungsten when instead of drilling out a collet body that had some crap in it I decided to flip the torch upside down and tap the tungsten through against the benchtop. All good till the last time I raised the torch the tungsten fell out and against my thumb and as I brought the torch back down it went straight through. Should have taken a pic of that instead.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Adiweld, you have posted that SAME VIDEO 6 or 7 times. Enough. Have you heard of SPAM?
exnailpounder

sedanman wrote:Adiweld, you have posted that SAME VIDEO 6 or 7 times. Enough. Have you heard of SPAM?
Uh Oh! :lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I've warned him We'll see what happens.
KTMDirtFace
    Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:44 am

I'm brand new to welding

Other than covering random things with practice beads I made this as my first project. A dolly for my snowmobile's rear track.

Welds are hideous, one of them I grinded off it was so bad, but its holding so far I jumped up and down on it lol.

Edit: not sure why it clipping my images off on the side.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:I've warned him We'll see what happens.
I've warned him, too. It's about to happen.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Strange that a person would employ spam to get his videos watched. If he posted a description and some personality, we would embrace them.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Strange that a person would employ spam to get his videos watched. If he posted a description and some personality, we would embrace them.
I'm not sure what his motivation was. I got one actual reply from him, in the same broken English as in his video, and then the videos kept popping up everywhere on the forum like a friggin' virus. When I saw it and the reaction on this thread last night, I had had enough, then saw your post about having warned him as well. I guess I should have checked the logs to see when you warned him, just to give him a chance, but it was late and I was tired, so I put an end to it.

Steve