Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:Grind the mill scale first.
I think you have your answer on the mill scale right there. It is the way you would do it for yourself.

Teach those guys working for you to properly clean the mill scale and that will save you time and grief in the end, IMO.

Curious, did you use the new Hobart for that? I'm guessing so...how do you like it? I thought it looked like a pretty nice box. Doesn't Miller own Hobart these days?
I did indeed use the new 240. I like it. Very good arc and the chart is quite accurate...much more so than other MIG charts I've used in the past. Zero issues so far. It's also very quiet and has fan-on-demand which takes a solid few minutes of welding before it even kicks on at all. Thought the fan may have been broken at first. I've also forgotten to turn the machine off twice now because it makes no noise as an indicator that it is still on. Miller's parent company does own Hobart. The MIG gun it came with is actually a Miller, with Miller stampings and all.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

That looks like a good option for a number of folks.

Fan on demand is something I would like on my Primeweld... ;)

My Everlast doesn't have one either. :(
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote: Fan on demand is something I would like on my Primeweld... ;)
No kidding! That sucker is loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote:That looks like a good option for a number of folks.

No kidding, that thing is loud. Mind you so is my Millermatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:That looks like a good option for a number of folks.

Yup. I certainly do wish my Everlasts had fan on demand. The 350 is particularly loud and puts out A LOT of wind in certain directions which has caused me to have to move it farther away from the weld area than I usually like. It's a solid performer so far, though.

Back to the 240, I'd have to say it's easily a solid contender for the #1 spot at its price point (I paid $1550 locally). 280 amps gets you up to 1/2" thick stock easily (haven't yet tested it, but no reason to doubt), and it comes completely ready to weld with running gear and all...just need to provide the 230v. Great buy for sure.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Fan on demand? That's something I honestly didn't expect from it, figured it would be a "dumb" machine in most every way, just a very well built one, as that tends to be what Hobart does vs Miller. My Invertec has a type of fan on demand where it doesn't kick on until I strike an arc, and eventually shuts off afterwards, it's honestly kind of nice all the same.

I'm not all that surprised by the lack of wetting on the bottom plate honestly, thicker plate tends to have a thicker layer of scale and more importantly thick to thin just has enough problems as is. In all honesty it's plenty strong enough for a welding table top and I'd probably worry more about tying my corners together just a tiny bit cleaner, but all the same I suspect given the price of a slab of 1/4+ plate it's probably one of those things where you could afford to clean the scale.

I tend to run a bit higher voltage and lower WFS than the chart suggests, as I've found it wets in better and gives a flatter stronger profile at the expense of a bit lower travel speed. Honestly I've found on my 210 MVP if I set the machine exactly according to the chart for 1/4 plate, while a cut and etch shows quite adequate penetration I still get the same lack of wetting in the toes that you got even if If I grind and clean the steel like I was going to tig weld it.
Spartan

Trailer retrofit to add walls and a removable ramp/gate. Built to customer spec. Mostly 11ga 2" angle and flat bar, and some 9ga expanded metal for the ramp. Definitely great practice to get back in the MIG groove since there was pretty much every joint combination and in every direction. The ramp hardware fittings and expanded metal was TIG welded.
IMG_2268.jpg
IMG_2268.jpg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
IMG_2287.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg (82.87 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
IMG_2289.jpg
IMG_2289.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
TraditionalToolworks

You seem to be getting a nice clientele built up Spartan, good on 'ya! 8-)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

golly, Spartan, you certainly get into some kind of "stuff". Did the customer bring the trailer to you with the boards and the apple crates already on? And the shiney parts where the ramp meets the trailer - are they hinges for attaching the ramp?
Spartan

BillE.Dee wrote:golly, Spartan, you certainly get into some kind of "stuff". Did the customer bring the trailer to you with the boards and the apple crates already on? And the shiney parts where the ramp meets the trailer - are they hinges for attaching the ramp?
It was brought in exactly as it was in the first pic. I did nothing with the wood, other than maybe make it smoke a bit at times :lol:

I think the shiny parts on the ramp you're speaking of are just the little stitch welds used to secure the expanded metal to the ramp framing. I used chunky clevis pins and some turned/drilled round stock bearings to act as hinges for the gate, but they're not quite visible in the pics. Used the clevis pin/bearing method so that ramp would be completely removable with relative ease.
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:You seem to be getting a nice clientele built up Spartan, good on 'ya! 8-)
Thanks. Working on getting things built up. However, not really chasing that type of work. Margins are pretty thin on jobs like that. I see those kinds of jobs as just bringing in some extra cash to put towards more equipment/tooling.
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:Thanks. Working on getting things built up. However, not really chasing that type of work. Margins are pretty thin on jobs like that. I see those kinds of jobs as just bringing in some extra cash to put towards more equipment/tooling.
I think it's like most work, you need steady revenue, so no matter what type of work you have to do to get it, if you take it eventually you can be more selective on what you take. Even to the point that you could specialize in something.

Sometimes you may need to get creative to come up with something that fits in the budget of your customer, so that you can at least get some work. That's what being in business is all about after all. ;)

There are times I get asked to do things for a client that I wouldn't normally do, but the client is the boss for the most part. :x
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:Thanks. Working on getting things built up. However, not really chasing that type of work. Margins are pretty thin on jobs like that. I see those kinds of jobs as just bringing in some extra cash to put towards more equipment/tooling.
I think it's like most work, you need steady revenue, so no matter what type of work you have to do to get it, if you take it eventually you can be more selective on what you take. Even to the point that you could specialize in something.

Sometimes you may need to get creative to come up with something that fits in the budget of your customer, so that you can at least get some work. That's what being in business is all about after all. ;)

There are times I get asked to do things for a client that I wouldn't normally do, but the client is the boss for the most part. :x
The current specialization is motorsports mods and fab. The mods have turned into a lot more fab recently, which I'm not crazy about. Trying to diversify a bit, but struggling to find an area to move into that pays quite as well as the motorsports :lol:

Also trying to bring in more typical work in order to get employees working on those projects while they are concurrently learning to TIG with part of their paid time. None of it is going very well. But we're all trying very hard! :lol:
Spartan

Quicky Mod. Customer had five laser cut parts that were designed too short and had to be put on assemblies and shipped YESTERDAY, apparently. 4130 chromoly plate, 11ga, needed an extra 0.750" on each side. Luckily he had some extra plates he was willing to part with so TIG was the best option for a fast turnaround....just can't find that stuff at Lowe's :lol:

Cut double bevels and ran some heavy, built-up beads on both sides of the plate before grinding. 70S-2 filler, and the nugget was fairly visible after the scotchbrite. Gets a powder coat, so finish wasn't too critical but I tried to treat it nice. Was a bit worried about warpage, but wasn't an issue at all with some reasonable chill bars. For those new to welding 4130, chill bars are typically not recommended, but it was permissible for this largely cosmetic application.

My favorite kind of work, and the reason I love me some TIG :D
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg (43.51 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg (45.19 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Last edited by Spartan on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spartan wrote:just can't find that stuff at Lowe's :lol:

Cut double bevels and ran some heavy, built-up beads on both sides of the plate before grinding. 70S-2 filler, and the nugget was fairly visible after the scotchbrite. Gets a powder coat, so finish wasn't too critical but I tried to treat it nice. Was a bit worried about warpage, but wasn't an issue at all with some reasonable chill bars.

My favorite kind of work, and the reason I love me some TIG :D
IMG_2362.jpg
Made money and scored points with the customer, win - win ;)
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee

ANOTHER "15 minute weld job" that made the customer happy. Very nice.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

box repair.jpg
box repair.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
tool box of the trailer in for repair. a lot of the bottom was broken. very very dirty aluminium. added couple of scrap plates to help with the load.
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee

Nice job Tweake. I"m supposing that material is what we in the states call diamond plate??
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

BillE.Dee wrote:Nice job Tweake. I"m supposing that material is what we in the states call diamond plate??
yes, same old cheap who knows what grade it is.
just with added fun by being dirty soaked in goodness knows what crap. spend more time grinding and cleaning than welding.
had it blow up a few times. not what i would call good welding but its back together.

got it back on the trailer and found why it broke, the brackets holding it where to short so all the load got placed in the centre of the panel rather than out on the edges. just have to extend those brackets a bit and its back in service.
tweak it until it breaks

A steel weldment I TIG welded recently
20200809_191023.jpg
20200809_191023.jpg (76.36 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
20200809_190927.jpg
20200809_190927.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Richard
Website
Spartan

LtBadd wrote:A steel weldment I TIG welded recently
20200809_191023.jpg
20200809_190927.jpg
Very nice looking welds!
TraditionalToolworks

Very nice looking work Richard.

Love that acorn table also...you keep it clean! ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Don't ask the story behind that table, it will make you cry. It about made me cry. It did make me green. Yes, it is a really nice table.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
BillE.Dee

Nice work ,, Richard. That going around corners is sometimes a challenge especially in the tight spots. All , and I mean ALL of the work shown is great. John Q public doesn't realize what is involved in the industry...from the first time someone touches stinger, gun or torch to the where they are today. KEEP ON KEEPING ON !!
gramps

Spartan wrote: Very nice looking welds!
TraditionalToolworks wrote:Very nice looking work Richard.

Love that acorn table also...you keep it clean! ;)
VA-Sawyer wrote:Don't ask the story behind that table, it will make you cry. It about made me cry. It did make me green. Yes, it is a really nice table.
BillE.Dee wrote:Nice work ,, Richard. That going around corners is sometimes a challenge especially in the tight spots. All , and I mean ALL of the work shown is great. John Q public doesn't realize what is involved in the industry...from the first time someone touches stinger, gun or torch to the where they are today. KEEP ON KEEPING ON !!
gramps
Thanks for the comments, the table was given to me by a customer, I just had to get it moved
Richard
Website